Chapter 60 - White Flag (Dido)

NATE

Carl and I held each other tight as we both sobbed over the loss of Lori.

He told me everything and my heart clenched in pain and sorrow for this little boy....little man rather....in my arms.

And this gorgeous, tiny girl? Growing up in the world without the love and guidance of her Mum.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through all that on your own. I know you'd rather have your Dad, but maybe....you can let me help you out for a little while. Or a long while even?"

"Forever, like a big sister maybe?"

I got my answer when he threw himself back into my arms and cried some more.

*

"Daryl calls her Lil' Ass-Kicker and now everyone else does too. Still trying to think of a good name, but I think I like that one the best."

We're lying on my bed now with the baby between us. Her little arms and legs waving in the air. While those perfect rosebud lips pucker and smack as she makes tiny noises.

My heart clenches again. Only this time it's in joy, awe and sudden memory.

"That's what my Mum said about me, Carl! The day I was born, she warned my brothers I was going to kick their asses. She was hella right!"  I finished with a bit of pride.

"Sounds like Daryl and your Mom know the same things"  Carl smiled back at me before giving a jaw-cracking yawn.

I follow suit and we both give each other watery smiles.

"I've been out of it for three days yet I'm still knackered. You don't look as if you've had much sleep at all though. How about you shut your eyes for a while? I'll be right here. Not going anywhere, Baby Bro"  I promise softly.

"I will, but only if you drink what's left in this bottle"  He shook it in front of me.

"Done deal"  I announced then started chugging it down.

He seemed eager to be held again when I gathered him and his sister into a gentle snuggle. And in less than five minutes both of them fell sound asleep.

My thoughts are full of them as well as Lori.

I'm going to miss her even though I'd only known her for a short time. And my heart is breaking for Rick, wondering how he's doing.

Over the next half hour, I stroked Carl's head whenever he trembled in his sleep. And gave gentle kisses to this gorgeous bubby girl.

I know how comforting that is. It'd brought me peace even though I only dreamt it.

OH!

Just realised....guess I have a baby sister now as well eh?  🤗

*

My mind drifted as I fought off sleep.

Thinking about Daryl and his apology.

It was heartfelt, I know that beyond a shadow of a doubt. But I get the feeling he doesn't do it very often?

Nup....nup....not because he's a wanker. Well, he is sometimes and I can't lie. What he did, said rather....it still hurts deep down. Can't get over that in the blink of an eye, but I will.

It's what you need to do when you forgive someone, isn't it? As much for yourself as well as him, Nate....

It's just....I don't think he knows how  to? Say he's sorry I mean, even when he really wants to?