Chapter 48 - You've Got a Friend (James Taylor)

NATE

"Can I give you a hand with anything, sweety?"

Carol's gentle voice interrupted my racing thoughts, as I placed the last of the camp ovens onto the makeshift bench.

At that moment, my boob started to vibrate again. I glanced swiftly around the campsite.

Yup, everyone's accounted for.

"Ummmm....ta. If you and Maggie wouldn't mind taking care of this...."  I spread my hands at the plates and serving stuff,

"....while I just go take care of that?"

I have the perimeter remote in my hand now. Can see which area has been breached on the tiny screen. She peered in confusion to where I'm nodding at the trees.

"Take care of what, Nate?"  Maggie asked.

I quickly threw on my canvas guards and poncho. Grabbed a star picket and brace in fluid, well-practiced movements.

Then leapt across the camp and into the woods. Not even noticing the sounds of boots thumping after me, trying to catch up.

"I don't recall inviting you  lot for dinner"  I muttered at the trio of walkers who stumbled across the perimeter.

Running to the first, I shoved the pointed end of the picket under the jaw. Straight up into his brain. Pulling it out just as easily before he slumped.

The other two came at me together. So I pushed my brace into the closest chest, holding it back as I dispatched his buddy.

Releasing the brace, I took care of the last.

"You don't meet the dress code. And besides....there ain't enough forks!"  My finger wagged itself at the bodies.

Glancing down at myself I gave a fist pump into the air.

"Yayayay  still clean!"

Spun around to see four men armed and primed for battle. Whose jaws are almost on the ground?

"Whaaaat?"  I asked innocently.

Gave Daryl an exaggerated, wide-eyed Bambi look when I strolled past him. Drawled in a broad Southern accent....

"Ain'tcha ever seen a dumb bitch kill a cupla walkers before? Sheeeesh!"

*

Hershel gave thanks before everyone tucked in. Sitting around the embers of the fire, little groans of satisfaction bursting out as they ate.

I sat quietly for a while, happily watching everyone enjoy. Then give my own little thanks and start chowing down as well.

'Yummmm....not bad kiddo. Not too shabby at all. Mum would be pretty proud I reckon'  I congratulated myself.

"How on earth did you know?"  T-Dog squinted at me.

"We didn't even hear them"  Oh....he means the walkers.

Without thinking, I pat my left breast. Then became aware of what I'd done when his face reddened.

Retrieved the little remote from where I keep it tucked in my bra.

"Home security. A few lasers surround the camp, charged up by solar panels. Batteries will last about twenty-four hours and the signal doesn't need Wi-Fi."

"Just make sure if you need to go to the dunny, you stay within fifty yards of the camp. Otherwise...."

"Dunny?"  Maggie interrupted.