Chapter 54 - Great Wall (Boom Crash Opera)

NATE

The air is still a bit misty after the sudden frost last night. But it's burning off as the day warms up.

I drove the group's old red Cherokee up the road to the inner walls and parked it. Then jogged back down the hill, to where Carol is waiting for me at the outer gate. Ready to open it so I can bring another vehicle in.

Somehow, I managed to persuade them to leave my Jeep outside. Tucked away safely in the woods and less the contents of course. Told them it'll be good to have a vehicle out there. If for whatever reason, we can't get to the ones inside the prison.

In case of escape.

Luckily for me, I can be very convincing and they agreed with my reasoning.

Otherwise, I'll be walking soon.

As I approached Carol I spied the remaining prisoners. Standing outside the fence to their block.

Axel is the shorter of the two, with a handlebar moustache and reddish hair. In contrast, Oscar is a huge man. Yet he seems to move gracefully despite his size.

These guys were the most affected once they learnt what'd happened outside. They didn't appear to be anywhere near as aggressive as Tomas and Andrew had been.

And I truly feel for them. Being isolated for so long and then coming out to find everything in their lives has been stolen?

They probably feel like a pair of stagnant time travellers. Where they've been stuck at a point in time. As the world moved forward, or backwards rather....around them both.

We've been segregated for so long. So I can't help but wonder why they're coming out here now? Risking the chance that Rick will throw them out. For breaking their deal and not staying in their part of the prison.

"We point the cars away, ready to escape if we need to"  Rick advised Glenn and Maggie.

They've just come down from another tower where they'd been ummmm....'sleeping'?  🤭

I'm so glad they've found each other. Would be nice to have someone to lean on yet support at the same time. To find love....give love back.

For someone else though. Me? Been there, done that....hurts too much....end of. 

Rick finally noticed the others.

"We had a deal"  He spat out angrily, striding towards them.

Axel and Oscar tried to bargain with him, only Rick isn't swayed. Moved them back to their side by waving his gun.

When he returned to our group T tried reasoning with him, to let them join us. The debate was on and it swirled around me.

But I stayed right out of it.

Keep myself out of pretty much every conversation nowadays.

Everything really....

***

I remain polite but don't initiate any contact or discussions.

Speak when spoken to and do whatever is tasked to me without question. Continue helping out without being asked.

But quietly. And with as little interaction with all of them as possible.

Not that I feel much like talking anyways. Feel much of anything....anymore. So I keep my distance from them all, physically and mentally.

Well, except for Hershel. And especially....Carl.

Just can't do that to the little man who I've loved wholeheartedly from the very first. His unconditional love in return is one of the few things that keeps me going from day to day.