Chapter 7 - Eve Of Destruction (Barry McGuire)

NATE

Twenty minutes later we crept out into the corridor. Having no proper idea what we're going to do.

All we do  know is....we need to get out of the city. To somewhere with fewer people and less panic.

It looks like whatever is happening in the rest of the world has finally reached Georgia. Big-time and almost overnight.

Leo made a beeline for the elevator but I put a hand on his arm. He turned and peered at me in confusion.

"Maybe not that way, Leo. Don't want the doors to open up and dump us in the middle of something like it is outside. Stairs might give us a bit more control to check things out slowly?"

The hostel building is old with an atrium-like staircase. It'll give us a reasonable view over the lobby as we get closer to ground level.

Leo nodded in agreement and we both adjusted the bags on our shoulders, leaving both hands free. I'd managed to convince him to bring essentials only, whatever he could carry in his big leather duffel.

We started descending....looking down and around as we went.

Made it to the fifth floor and moved closer to each other. Both silently and unconsciously acknowledging the same thing.

There's no music coming from any of the rooms. No people laughing or wandering around chatting. There should at least be some signs of life? Doors are open, yet no one's inside.

In some dorms, it looks like a wild pillow fight has taken place. Bedding, sheets and clothes are strewn about.

It's like the Marie Celeste in here yet the noise outside is intensifying.

To say things aren't looking good for us at the mo will be the understatement of a lifetime.

We slowed our pace going down the flights. Carefully and quietly moving our feet from one tread to the next, looking behind us as well.

Halfway between the second and first floor, we both peeped over the banister to the lobby below. Leo gasped in shock and I focused in on what he's gaping at.

WTFx2????

Dead eyes stared back at us.

I kind of recognised him as a young guy from Stuttgart Germany. We'd chatted briefly the day before, near the vending machines in the rec room.

Kind of recognised?

Because half his cheek and chin are missing. When I peered down at the rest of his body, I saw he's been disembowelled and his legs now resemble half-chewed dog bones.

I'm not normally squeamish....have seen bodies before.

Working for an old folk's home unfortunately teaches you that death is inevitable. Plus I grew up hunting kangaroos, wild pigs and feral goats. So I'm no stranger to a fair bit of blood and guts.

But seeing a human being desecrated like this? Threw me for a complete loop.

Pulling back I closed my eyes and tried to calm my breathing. Heard the faintest of whimpers and felt Leo trembling next to me.

Reaching out I grasped his hand in mine, tugging him close. He clutched hard as if it's a life-buoy and he's a drowning man.

It felt like minutes, yet only thirty seconds or so passed when I finally opened my eyes to look at him. Giving his fingers a gentle squeeze he stared back at me through wild eyes.

Then gave a slight nod to let me know he's still with it. That one tiny movement steadied my heart a little.

Just a little.