Chapter 29 - Playing to Win (John Farnham)

NATE

My mouth opened in a jaw-cracking yawn when I brought the tea to my lips.

I'm out in the courtyard sipping my dawn cuppa. It's become my quiet ritual. I can ponder over events from the day before and plan out the one ahead.

Boy, had yesterday been a doozy....full of firsts. My first run and zombie kills. My first time naked in front of a man and the first time a grown man has been proudly naked in front of me.

My first....

Just thinking about it? Makes me want to put my tea down and sprint back to our room where he's sleeping.

Now I know why Mum always had a big, satisfied smile on her face every morning. Wonder if mine is the same?

Guille and I spent most of the night getting to know each other. Again....and again. I'll probably be sleepless again tonight and several more to come?

He's got lots of ideas about what can be classified as 'everything but'. Told me about some of them in great detail. Causing my blushes to come back with a vengeance.

Getting away from him when the sun came up took a lot of ingenuity on my part and a fair bit of flexibility. Though by the time I had a quick wash and gotten dressed, he'd finally nodded off.

My cup nearly went flying out of my hand when Miguel came barrelling around the corner.

"NATE....NATE...."  He yelled excitedly,

"....look at what's on the camera Sis!"

A few weeks ago, I gave Jorge a shopping list for one of his runs. He seemed a bit confused at first, but it quickly twigged when he skimmed through it again.

When he came back with everything and I set them up....he was almost as excited as Mig is now.

Three drones with built-in cameras.

We don't have a Wi-Fi signal to do instant streaming. But if we find a high enough vantage point, we can send them flying around the vicinity. See what's around without the need for us to go out into the fray.

He brought me back a few more tablets as well. To view the stored footage after their flight.

I also asked for some music players with mini speakers. Now, we can use the drones to distract and if need be, lead the zombies away. Clear a path so to speak.

Luckily, with the solar panels here everything can be kept charged up.

Whenever Miguel isn't on a run he's off with a drone. Has discovered so many good spots to check out without having to scout too much on the ground first.

And now, he's obviously found something he thinks is treasure.

I watched the footage then zoomed in on what he's located. Looks like a huge sports bag. And poking out the top are what appear to be....rifle barrels?

Grinning back at his excited face I nodded.

"Way to go, M! Let's take this to Jorge."

Firearms are pure gold nowadays. And even though we've got a decent haul from yesterday, there can never be enough.

Jorge agreed it's worth checking out immediately. Felipe wanted in this time, so we all started getting ready.

Guille sauntered into the warehouse and Jorge gave him the rundown on our plans. This time there were no private farewells.

He grabbed hold and gave me a kiss that shivered my timbers. When he finished it was to the sounds of cheers and clapping from his vato's.

"Bout damned time, Little Miss"  Leo muttered slyly, giving me a crushing hug goodbye.