Chapter 47 - Turn! Turn! Turn! (The Byrds)

NATE

This is more  than important to me. Knowing what you guys think? Because I sure as hell value your opinions you know.

🥰 🥰 🥰 🥰

Those of you who had no choice but to start again. Start with strangers or maybe 'not so much'  strangers like moi.

How on earth did you cope during those first few moments? Did you just dive right on in as if you've always been there?

Or did you hang back in case you screwed up and made the wrong impression?

Or did you do what I did....and nearly FUBAR it from the get-go?

*

So here I am....staring stupidly at, 'The Man'.

While desperately begging my head, heart and hoochie to stop pounding each other to death.

That face.

The one that's popped into my head for no reason at all. So many times in the months since I saw him last. The one person who I never dreamed would cross my path, ever again.

His gravelly voice, those eyes that seem to pierce my very core. Arms that can....well....

And it's one hell of a shock....believe me! Not just seeing him again but my total visceral reaction which I'm trying desperately to hide.

Did he end up finding his brother?

I frantically cast my mind back to the conversations with Hershel in the bar. Only to realise, that while he'd referred to his family? He only mentioned a few names. And none of them rang any bells at the time.

Before things became uber awkward with a still silent and staring Daryl, I spied other figures wandering through the trees. Curiously gazing around my....ummmm....our  campsite.

Two of them literally came barrelling through, accompanied by whoops of laughter.

"Pizza Boy? Teddy Bear?"  I gasped softly.

I was quickly swept up and spun around by T-Dog and then Glenn. Their excitement at seeing me is overwhelming and I'm dizzy with realisation.

They....they're the strangers who were living at his farm????

Rick eventually nudged them aside and embraced me.

"How are you doing, sweetheart?"  He asked gently.

Gave my arm a tender rub while his eyes spoke his thoughts. Happiness at seeing me....sadness knowing exactly how I got to be here.

Before I could respond, he seemed to sense who's behind him and let me go. Moved aside, allowing Hershel to pass through.

We just stood there peering at each other in teary relief. Before he held out his arms....and I sank into them gratefully.

They feel like home.

I just hugged him and held on for dear life. Finally conceding how very much I've missed having such gentle strength wrapped around me. And relishing the soft comforting kisses pressed into the top of my head.

Can I like, maybe....just stay here forever?

Hershel eventually stood back and held me at arm's length, gazing at me intently. Then he nodded and said....

"Sweetheart, you'll do just fine now. Better days ahead for us all."

"Maggie....Beth...."  He beckoned the girls over.