05. breathe

Ava looked at me in complete shock

Ava looked at me in complete shock. "Scarlett, what did you actually just say to me? Like what just came out of your mouth?"

I rolled my eyes at her and let out a sigh, "Ava don't make me say it again." I warned her as I pulled her into a corner. "Okay look," I said running my hands through my hair. "I'm really sorry I didn't tell you this before. I didn't think it would be fair to Blake."

Ava calmed down a little, "Okay that's understandable. So now Megan knows and apparently she threatened you?"

I looked at Ava like she was crazy, "She didn't apparently threaten me, she really did!"

Now Ava looked at me like I was crazy. "Jeez, can you calm down Scarlett? I always knew Megan was too nice to be true." I frowned at her and she continued, "How do you know Blake didn't get over you? Megan could just be acting crazy, I mean Vanessa told her about this for god's sake. The girl who tried to kill you!"

I couldn't help but giggle, "Oh my god what if they're teaming up together, they're going to try and finish me off this time!"

"You what I think Scar? She put her hand on my shoulder. "I think that you're overreacting slightly. No one is going to kill you, I was just joking. Don't you think that is a little ridiculous?"

I shrugged, "Okay I guess. But it's actually not that far off from what Vanessa-"

"Hey, Ava and Scar!" I didn't even have to turn around to know that it was Megan.

Ava gave me a quick look but turned around and smiled at Megan anyway. "Hey Meg, wish I could talk but I have to go to class early today for my test." Ava looked at me and smiled. "Bye!"

"Ava wait-" I tried to say but before I could Ava was nowhere to be seen. I sighed and looked over at Megan. "Listen I don't know what you heard but there is nothing going on between Blake and I. So you can stop with your games," I said firmly. "Because I don't need this in my life right now."

She looked at me for a second before laughing, "Scar what are you talking about?" she laughed again, "Anyway I have to get to class before the bell rings."

I stared at her dumbfounded. Why was she pretending like she didn't know what I was talking about?

---

With my books in my hands, I nervously walked up to Blake. "Hey, Blake." I smiled at him, pushing my books harder into my chest.

He turned around and smiled back at me. "Hey Scar, what's up?" He paused for a second and laughed. "Why are you acting so weird?"

I acted surprised, "Sorry." I forced a laugh. "Hey, I need to talk to you about Megan. You would tell me if something was wrong right?" I asked with a concerned look on my face. Don't get me wrong I trust that Blake moved on it's just Megan I'm worried about.

Blake looked confused but shrugged anyway, "Yeah of course. Is there something you're hinting at?" He tilted his head.

I shook my head too quickly, "No not really I was just-" I stopped myself in the middle of my sentence when I saw Megan walking toward us. This girl was everywhere. "You know what? I have to go. Ava wants to tell me something before second period. I'll see you at lunch." Before he could even say anything I quickly turned around and walked away from him. I heard him call my name once or twice but I was not in the mood to deal with Megan's mood swings.

My phone buzzed in my pocket and I went to get it when someone bumped into me, sending a sharp pain throughout my body.

"I'm really sorry. Are you okay?" Someone said to me but their words were too rushed I almost didn't understand. I looked up at the person which was a he. He had short brown hair and mud-brown eyes with a tint of green, he looked a lot like. . . someone I used to know.

"Um- I" I stumbled over my words. A small smile broke onto his lips. I cleared my throat. "Sorry I don't know what I was trying to say there. . . you look like someone I used to know."

He nodded his head and laughed. "Oh, really I do?" He said in a strange tone but not to me, more to himself. Suddenly he smiled again and said, "No worries- hey I'm sorry for bumping into you like that it's my first day."

I laughed, "No don't worry about it. I did the same thing on my first day." There was a moment of silence he looked at me and I continued talking. "Do you need help finding your classes or anything?"

He shook his head with shrug, "No I think I got it. I'm Jesse Robertson."

My smile instantly dropped. Jessie Robertson? I am really crazy, but something I was good at was forcing myself to smile so that's what I did. Always remember to smile. "Scarlett Everwood."

"Everwood mhm." He hummed, "Has a nice ring to it." He rubbed his chin.

"Thanks," I mumbled, "anyway I have to go meet my friend before class starts. You know my name if you need any help finding your way around here."

"Thanks, Scarlett. I'll see you around."

This Jesse gave me a very strange feeling. He looked a lot like someone I can't get over, someone named Adam Robertson.

---

I walked into the park slowly my eyes searching for Mia. I finally saw her sitting on a bench. Her red hair was in a pony and her eyes were looking down toward the floor. "Hey, Mia," I called out to her and she automatically looked up at me.

She let out a breath of relief and smiled at me. "Hey, Scarlett it's nice to see you again." I walked towards her and she moved over. "Please sit down."

I took a seat beside her and sighed. "It's nice to see you too Mia." I ran my hands through my hair, "I have no idea what JJ really did to you and that's why I came here to find out the truth."

Mia nodded her head with a sad smile playing on her full lips. "I'm sorry I put you in that situation. I just- I really didn't know who else to tell. I know you've been through the same thing."

My jaw dropped, "Wait-wait what do you mean? How do you know I've been through the same thing?"

She shrugged, "Well you know the summer I first met you, you seemed so sad. I asked JJ and he shrugged it off. But one day I was looking through pictures and I found this picture of you and JJ just from the year before as it was dated. I told JJ that I found it funny that you were brunette and he was born with blonde hair. But in this picture, you had blonde hair. That's when he finally told me what happened between Adam and you." She took a deep, "I thought because you went through that he would understand. I thought he would understand that no one deserves to be treated so badly the way Adam treated you." She wiped the tears that had fallen over her tinted cheeks. "That was until I actually met Adam Robertson."

I couldn't even believe half of the things Mia was saying to me. JJ had never met Adam a day in his life. JJ always went to a completely different school than me because he was so smart he was in a special program. "Mia I don't know what you're talking about. How would you ever meet Adam? JJ never knew him."

Mia turned her head and looked up at me. Her green eyes suddenly felt cold and her small smile had disappeared before my eyes. "Are you sure about that B?"

My eyes went big and my heart dropped, "What did you just call me? Only one person used to call me that-"

"Who, Adam?"

I looked at her shocked and she laughed, "Look your brother John, lied to you and I both. After you changed your school, name, and hair colour JJ was still talking to Adam."

"JJ never knew Adam," I repeated to her. "They never met, okay?"

"Yes, they did Scarlett." Mia pulled her phone from her pocket and her screen lit up. She titled it toward me and I almost fainted. It was a picture of JJ and Adam with big smiles on their faces. Adam had his arm around JJ. "I took this picture."

Before I knew it I couldn't breathe, my hand went up to my neck. I couldn't breathe.

--

So sorry this chapter is late! Love you all come back for more. Don't forget to vote and comment what you're thinking.