epilogue

It had been exactly four years since Adam Robertson died

Many people would think that I would be happy because of his death, but I wasn't. It was weird and I didn't understand it but somehow I felt sadness.

I was in my room, my face buried in psychology textbooks when Jesse Robertson had called me. He told me that his brother was dead, and that was it. There was nothing they could do.

My emotions were all over the place. I didn't know if I was supposed to be happy or sad.

But no matter how hard I tried not to be sad,
I still was. I was sad, but I felt the most sadness for his family. Jesse was still so young when his brother died. I knew he was trying to be strong but his smile never quite reached his eyes.

I knew that Adam's mother, Stephanie, felt guilty for failing her son, and it was true. Adam was failed by all of us. No one helped him until it was too late.

It's strange isn't it? It's strange how a person who has hurt me, caused me to run away from my life and my name, is dead and I still feel sadness.

There were good times with Adam but the happiness is clouded by the darkness.

They say Adam Robertson died of heart failure. He had a heart attack and his heart failed like we all had failed him. They say that he knew he was sick for awhile, yet he didn't do anything about it.

Something I had to realize was that I am strong. I'm okay with the fact that Adam Robertson is no longer anything. I'm okay with the fact that he is nothing but ashes. He can't hurt me or the ones that I love. He's gone, but I'm okay.

"Scarlett!"

I placed the picture of Adam and I smiling, back in the box, in which I kept old memories.

I was a sixteen year old girl named Blair Edwards when I met Adam Robertson. Now, I'm a twenty three year old women, named Scarlett Everwood who is going to be a mother.

"Scarlett! Oh my god!" Ava yelled as she ran into my room. "I got here as fast as I could. Leo and I were out shopping for my new apartment."

Ava was still the happy beautiful girl I had met years ago. Her blonde hair was long and her smile was bright.

I don't know when or how but somehow Ava and Leo fell for each other again. I knew they were happy, I could tell by Ava's green eyes. They were sparkling with happiness.

I stood up and turned around to look at myself in the mirror. I couldn't believe that I was going to be graduating College in a few hours. "I have tell you something Ava." I said turning my body to the side. I placed my hand over my stomach, because I wondered when I would start showing.

Ava let out a snort as she fell onto my bed. "Gosh Scarlett, I practically ran here. I thought you had to tell me something important." Ava was laughing but then she suddenly stopped and tilted her head to the side. "Wait. . ." She said slowly. "You're not pregnant are you?" And then she started laughing again. "Because that would be funny!"