10. you must know

"I know it's a lot to take in all at once

"I know it's a lot to take in all at once." Jesse smiled sadly, "I'm sorry but I really thought you should know."

I shook my head. "No it's fine really, you told me the truth. That's all that matters." Jesse nodded his head. "So why did you move here? To this school I mean." I wonder if he really came all this way just to tell me this.

"It sounds a little weird but I came here for you."

"What-"

"I lost all contact with Adam when I turned about fourteen which was a little over two years ago. And then a few months ago I get this call from a random number so I answer it not really thinking anything of it. . . and that's when I heard his voice." Jesse's eyes left mine and he looked at the ground. "His words were frantic but basically what he said was that he loved this girl named Blair Edwards." He looked at me and I gulped. "He said that he loved her but she didn't love him back, so he did something wrong and now the police were out looking for him."

"Yeah," I said slowly. "He took my boyfriends little sister to get to me." I sighed, "Adam really was out of his mind. He blackmailed a whole list of people just so he could get to me in the end." After I said this I thought about JJ and it made me frown. I think I made a big mistake, because I missed my brother. Adam probably blackmailed him too.

"I know." Jesse said quickly, "The police told my mother and I. Then I thought about when he called me and I knew I had to find you. It was hard but I finally did." He shook his head. "I just can't understand why my brother would do something like this. I also needed to know the truth about him. From your side of the story."

"I-I" I really didn't know what to say. "I'm sorry you had to come all this way, you really didn't need-"

"I wasn't lying when I said I moved houses too. My mother wanted to move away from all our problems and that's when I made the connects. You went to this school. . . there aren't much schools around here anyway so it was no trouble."

"Ok." I mumbled because I didn't know what else to say. In the back of my mind I knew he wasn't Adam but I was still scared.

"I really want you to know that just because Adam is my half-brother does not mean I am like him at all. I tried to get away from him ever since I was a kid. It's bad enough that our fathers have the last name so people think we are full brothers but we are not."

"I know and I'm sorry." I slowly looked over at him. "It's not fair that I judged you before even knowing your story." I sighed, "But why didn't you just tell me all this before?"

"Because I didn't want to scare you and to be honest I really didn't know how to tell you." He shrugged. "But after I saw you in there with your friends I knew you deserved the truth."

"I'm just really confused, everyone who seems to be my friend has lied to me."

Jesse took a step closer toward me and wrapped his arms around my body. "I felt like that for a very long time. Adam would humaite me all the time. Sometimes he would come to my school just pick a fight with me because he was bored, and in front of everyone. I had to learn to forgive him and to move on. Maybe you need to let your friends explain."

Jesse slowly let go of me. "Thank you so much Jesse, and I think you might be right." A small smile tugged at my lips.

---

The next day I was sitting in the kitchen eating when my dad came up to me. I sat down my phone on the table and looked up over at him. He smiled at me but when you looked in his eyes he looked worried. "Dad what's going on?" I mumbled.

"Oh nothing." He shook his head, "Your mother and I are just worried about JJ."

My cheeks slightly bushed and I quickly looked down. "I know I am too." The truth was that I really was worried about JJ. I should have let him explain before I told him to leave his own house. My mother always told me that my rash decisions would get me in trouble. "I'll try to call him again, don't worry about it." I smiled at my dad and he gave me a light smile back. "I'm going to my room now, I have homework."

I got up slowly grabbed my phone, then ran into my room and closed the door behind me. I shook my head and mumbled to myself, "Just give him a chance Scarlett." I wasn't even sure if JJ even wanted anything to do with me after I kicked him out of his own house. I now realized it was way out of line, it wasn't my place to do that.

I took a deep breath and fell onto my bed. I looked down at my phone in my hands and dialed JJ's number. My heart was beating so loud I felt as if anyone who was near me could hear it. When finally I heard his quiet voice, I felt like my heart immediately stoped beating. "Scar?" I didn't really know what to say so I stayed quiet until he spoke again. "How are you? Are you okay?"

It had been about a week since I had talken to JJ. "Yeah I'm fine JJ." I sighed, "I'm really sorry are you okay? Did you make it to college okay?"

"You have nothing to be sorry for Scarlett, I should have told you along time ago. If I would have just told somebody none of this would have happened."

"What are you talking about JJ?"

"Adam. I'm talking about Adam, he was always the sick one. I know you think I'm just like him but I'm not. He said if I ever told anyone he would hurt you. Scarlett, you're my sister and I love you. I know I have made a lot of mistakes in the past but I have always protected you. Everything I did was for you."

I was overwhelmed by JJ's kind words. I wiped the tears that had fallen onto my cheeks and said, "I love you too JJ."

"I know the only way you would have known this was through Mia. Don't worry I didn't talk to her. I know she's scared of me, but the truth is she really didn't know anything about me. Adam said that he would hurt Mia too. That was very hard for me to deal with. I was young and scared I didn't know what to do."

"I'm so sorry John."

"I sound kind of pathetic because I was scared of Adam." He laughed, "When you first started dating him I knew he was trouble. One day he just came by the house asking for you. I told him you weren't home and he went crazy saying that you were home and I was your boyfriend which is disgusting because I told him I was your brother. After all that he told me that if he ever asked me something about you I had to tell him. I thought it would stop after you changed your name and we moved. But that didn't happen. He would never stop because he had a bunch of people backing him up. So I had to tell him everything."

"JJ you are not pathetic at all. Everyone knows what Adam was capable of." I wanted JJ to understand he is one of the strongest people I've ever known.

He sighed and mumbled, "You must know the reason I really left was because of his brother, Jesse Robertson."

---
Hey guys! Ugh I know these last few chapters are kind of dramatic but anywho I hope you enjoy, love you all! Also I'm SO SORRY for all these cliffhangers I swear I'm not doing it on purpose ;)