22. trust

"Kaitlyn," Joseph spoke gently towards his daughter

"Kaitlyn," Joseph spoke gently towards his daughter. "let them have some time alone." Katie frowned but she grabbed onto her father's hand as he pulled her out of the room.

"How are you doing?" Jace suddenly asked me.

"Can we go outside?" I blurted out ignoring Jace's question. "I don't want your dad or Katie hearing what we're saying." Jace silently nodded his head at me as he opened the door and walked outside. I followed behind him closely. As soon as I walked back outside I could feel the spring sun against my skin.

I grabbed my bag and pulled Jace's diary out. "Here, you can have it Jace." I said basically waving it in his face.

Jace sighed rolling his eyes at me. "Scarlett, please I don't care about having it back." He snapped back at me. "You told me to call you when I'm ready to talk."

I took a step back from him. "Right." I agreed. "I'm sorry about before and I know you are too." He threw a sad smile my way. "The day we met, when I bumped into you, you dropped your diary. At first I knew I was going to read all of it. But once I read the first page I felt bad and went to go give it back to you." I looked down at the ground. "You seemed so angry with something so suddenly I didn't feel so bad anymore."

"Scarlett" Jace said so gently it almost made me forget what I was trying to explain to him. "you don't have to-"

"After things got more serious between us I honesty stopped because I knew it was stupid." I cut him off. "Then one day I randomly picked it up again as a joke and. . . my dad came into my room and he had scared me. Weirdly enough it fell on a page and that's when I saw my name." Our eyes locked. "Blair Edwards."

Seconds pasted and Jace didn't say a word. I thought back to Cassie's party when he had nothing to say. But Jace suddenly spoke up, "I know you're probably confused." He confessed. "I saw you at one of Maddie's parties and everything changed. I know you didn't see me and I didn't want to go up to talk to you because one day I heard Maddie on the phone talking about your boyfriend. Only if I knew what he was doing to you."

"You couldn't have known what Adam was doing to me." I winced.

"I know but I still blame myself." Jace said sadly, "I know I sound like a creep but it's true. I saw you in person only a couple of times, and I would just watch you from afar. I was actually surprised you never knew who I was."

I shrugged my shoulders. I felt stupid for never connecting the dots. But Maddie never really talked about her family. I tried to think back to a time when I could have seen Jace but nothing came to my mind.

"The only way to really express my feelings was when I would write them down." He continued, "I would write about you all the time. It actually distracted me because back then I knew my mother was sick with cancer and when she actually passed I didn't know what to do with my life. But when I started writing I didn't feel so lost anymore."