07. living a lie

"Scar?" Ava ran up to me and gave me a tight hug, "Jace told me what happened yesterday

"Scar?" Ava ran up to me and gave me a tight hug, "Jace told me what happened yesterday."

Except I didn't really tell Jace the truth. I really tried to though, but the words wouldn't come out. Instead I lied and I told Jace I was scared that Adam would come back. That was only half of the truth. I was scared that Adam was going to come back but in a sense he was already back. He left pieces of himself for me to pick up. He knew eventually I would learn the truth and he knew I was by myself to come to terms with all this information. "I know." I shrugged, "I don't know what came over me yesterday I just wasn't feeling up to coming to school."

Ava smiled at me sweetly, "Cassie saw you with someone at the park."

I tilted my head at Ava. She definitely knows Mia was JJ's ex but I don't think Ava has even met her or knows what she looks like. "Oh her?" I shrugged, "Just a family friend I hadn't seen for a while."

"Oh cool!" Ava laughed, "What's her name?"

"Emily." The name came out of my mouth cooly, "Yeah she's from out of town." I shook my head. "But enough with that. Did I miss anything that happened yesterday?"

Ava thought for about a second before answering. "No not really. . . actually you know what?" She thought again, "This guy went up to Blake asking where you were."

"What?"

Ava nodded, "Yeah super weird if you ask me. He said he's new here. I think his name was-"

"Jesse?" I said quickly before Ava could finish her sentence.

She gave me a surprised look, "Yeah that's it. How'd you know?"

"Well," I shrugged rolling my eyes. "like two days ago he bumped into me. I don't really know him."

Ava nodded her head but suddenly her eyes lit up, "Look," she laughed, "he's right there." She pointed at him. I grabbed her arm, and spun around to look at Jesse. His eyes met mine and I quickly turned around.

"I don't know Ava he's pretty weird if you ask me-"

"Hey Scarlett Everwood," He smiled happily and I looked over at Ava and she shrugged.

"Hey Jesse." I smiled back and pointed at Ava. "This is my best friend Ava."

"Hey Jesse nice to meet you!" She nodded at him, "What school did you come from? Scar told me it was your first day here a few days ago."

Jesse quickly looked at me but his eyes immediately locked with Ava's again. "You really wouldn't know it." He shrugged and Ava frowned. "Only because I'm from out of town. I didn't only move school I moved houses too. I used to live nowhere near here."

My heart dropped.

"Hey Scalett are you okay?" Ava questioned, "You kind of spaced out in the conversation."