18. warned you

I slowly walked downstairs to get something to eat and usually I would make something quick, but I was shocked to see mom, dad, and JJ all sitting at the kitchen smiling with a table full of food

I slowly walked downstairs to get something to eat and usually I would make something quick, but I was shocked to see mom, dad, and JJ all sitting at the kitchen smiling with a table full of food. "Am I still dreaming?" I let out a laugh. I can honestly say I don't remember the last time my parents cooked me a full meal, or the last time we even ate together as a family.

Mom shook her head at me. "Oh Scarlett don't be ridiculous." She hissed as she pointed to an empty seat at the table. "Sit down and eat." I nodded my head quickly and sat down quietly. I looked over at JJ suspiciously, but he just laughed as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Look. . ." Dad said sternly, "Your mother and I wanted to do something special for you guys."

I couldn't believe this. They were literally never home and then they wanted to make everything up to us by cooking? "No offence but you guys are never home. You can't just cook and think-"

"That's enough Scarlett Marie Everwood!" My mother yelled and I immediately stop talking. When my mother called me by my full name I knew what was about to happen wasn't pretty. "How do you think we live in this house?" Mom asked but she wasn't really asking. "I wish it didn't but work takes up all of our time. I really do wish I could be home with you guys all the time but we can't. We're trying to fix things and apologize. Just eat."

"Mom and dad," JJ said slowly, "It really is okay-"

"No." Mom said firmly, "It's not okay but that's why we're trying to fix this." I mean they were going to have to try a lot harder than that but it was a small step in the right direction.

I laughed and looked down at the food. "Well this food looks so good and I'm starving so I'm going to eat." I said and everyone laughed back at me.

---

I sat down with a cup of coffee in my hands. It was still early on this saturday morning and the only thing that was honestly keeping me awake was the coffee. Mia wanted to meet her here at this café around 10:30am. This was the only time she could meet me today before her work shift so I just went with it. On top of that I was actually early so I had a lot of time to kill.

I let out a sigh as I took another sip from my coffee. "It wouldn't hurt to get some reading done." I thought out loud and I pulled out Jace's diary and looked at it. I need to read more to find out what he really knew about Blair Edwards. What he really know about me?

I know the truth about Maddie. . . well not exactly but I have my ideas. I see the way she looks at Blair and I know the hurt in her eyes when Blair speaks of her boyfriend. I find it weird that my cousin and I both liked the same person but it is what it is. I can't help and it and she can't help it. I'm scared for her though because I know my aunt and uncle won't accept her for who she is and it's very sad. Today my mother told me that Maddie has to go to court. I don't know what for. Maddie said she's never allowed to talk about Blair Edwards again. I'm so fucking tired of no one ever telling me anything. Why did Maddie go to court really? Did she get in trouble?