21. acceptance

I walked up to my doorstep as Mia followed slowly behind me

I walked up to my doorstep as Mia followed slowly behind me. I looked back at her with a smile. "I know it's been awhile since you've been here." I mumbled, "JJ should be asleep and my parents are expecting me to come home anytime now, but they probably fell asleep though." I explained to her as I opened the door quietly. It was dark so I turned on a few lights. "See everyone is asleep."

Mia looked back at me laughing quietly, "Okay good. I know Laura and John would be confused about why I was in there house at this time let alone in their house at all." She said referring to my parents. "Did you tell JJ we are friends?" She asked suddenly.

I shook my head slowly, "I think he knows a little bit-"

"Scar is that you?" I instantly stopped talking when I heard the sound of JJ's feet against the floor. Mia looked over at me panicked. I don't think either of them were ready to meet face to face yet after their phone call. I shook my head looking down, he was supposed to be asleep.

"Yeah it's me." I whispered quietly as he came around the corner into the kitchen, "Mia drove me home."

He looked at Mia stunned. For a few seconds he didn't say anything so I was about to talk until JJ finally opened his mouth. "Hi Mia." He mumbled looking over at her briefly until he looked back at me. "Why did she drive you home Scarlett? Where is everyone else?"

I looked over at Mia warning her not to say anything. "The limo couldn't come so we all got different rides, the party was really fun though." I exclaimed. "Jace and I had a good time but he had to go back home." I lied smoothly praying he would just drop the subject.

Mia threw JJ a small smile, "I should be getting home now." She walked over and gave me a quick hug. "I hope everything works out for you. Call me anytime if those girls give you trouble again." She whispered quietly in my ear so that JJ couldn't hear what she was saying.

"Wait." JJ said and Mia quickly turned around. "I didn't know you guys were so close."

Mia shrugged her shoulders. "It just happened recently."

I nodded my head. "Yeah I was just telling Mia she should come over for dinner one day."

JJ looked back at me like I was lying to him. "I know Mia wouldn't want to come over, after everything-"

"Actually I would." Mia cut JJ off, he looked back at her shocked. "Scarlett is now my friend and she asked me to come. I'm not coming for you." She said quietly and I froze feeling the tension slowly raising. "Of course what you did JJ was disgusting but like I said Scarlett is my friend and I want to make her happy." Mia said looking over at me with a smile spread across her face. I smiled back at her. "I don't hate you. I would love just to move on."

As soon as I knew it Mia was gone and JJ and I were left in complete silence.

---

"Good morning sweetie."