47. Future or past

Toothless' POV

Hiccup was mad. Beyond furious. I saw everything and I still couldn't understand fully why he felt like that, all I knew he needed me.

I watched the scene he made, I stayed low waiting until I can help, like his mate, I waited not so patiently. The murderer dared to speak, angering my partner further. His only luck was my other half gave him what he deserved, or I would have jumped to rip his limbs off.

He was hurt. So-so-so hurt. He kept up his attitude because it was a must. A leader can't show his weaknesses anytime. Pulling himself together to order everyone to leave, I knew it was my cue to embrace him.

I was there I was beside him, and than we were in the safety of the air.

Or so I thought.

Something hit my head hard, and for long moments the world became a blur, sounds were messy and most importantly my head ached.

I can recall the pain of crash landing, meanwhile we parted from each other. Immediately I stood up, I have to help, he was in need of help, my help, but missteps caused me to fell to the ground again. I couldn't. I couldn't resist the pain. I placed my paws on the sore spot when I felt him by my side again. Coming back to my senses I realised I've been whining shamelessly, and I stopped myself from doing so. Blinking away the dizziness I growled.

- Who did this?!

Astrid's POV

Everything happened too fast.

Before I could wrap my head around the happenings Hiccup gave orders to leave.

We followed him towards the cliff, when I caught a glimpse of something approaching them. Fast.

Toothless got hit, crash landed, Stormfly squeaked in surprise, preparing his spine to attack in reflex but he did not do a thing, because the the one who was behind it all was Gothi. She caught her staff as it fell back down, and leaned onto it, watching Hiccup collecting himself from the ground grumpily, rushing over to his dragon immediately.

Toothless became silent as he made eye contact with the old women, I think it's fair from me to say all of us stared at her confused, but she did not bat an eye about what she just did.

The demanding look of hers was kind of scary, and as soon as Toothless seemed to collect himself signed them to follow. The awesome duo shared a look, than did as she pleased.

And what the hell should I do?

We watched them enter the little hut, Toothless' tail sticking out. The vikings as confused, if not more, closed in, but both Stormfly and Trouble hissed warning as took a seat on the little house or her. They guarded it proudly, and I did not stop them doing whatever they felt like.

The vikings were taken back by the attitude, which seemingly kept them away. Bored, and more stressed than I wanted to admit, I scanned the crowd... Stoick seemed so out of character, so lost... meanwhile Gobber was less surprised by the news... but more stuck in his own thoughts.

I sighed.

Avoiding any eye contact with my family I torn my eyes away from my old home, to the horizon. The pack of dragons stopped in a decent distance, waiting for their leader.

I sighed again.

Having no clue what's happening below me I petted my dragons with a sad smile.

Soon I heard loud known thumps of Hiccup's prosthetic leg, audibly furious. I did not have to urge Stormfly to the edge to have a look, she was curious as well.

My heart skipped a beat. Down, I could see my boyfriend with a hand in his hair, in a clearly troubled pose, with Toothless nudging his back for attention and to comfort. I slipped down from the saddle, down by his side, rudely taking the Alpha's place to give him a comforting hug.

He relaxed into my hold, letting out a shaky breath.

I had no idea what was on his mind, the only thing certain the pain of his old home. He spent countless hours with me to help through my sudden loss of Berk, and now it's my time to do the same.

Gothi's stuff knocked softly on the wood, making us turn around and face her determined expression.

Hiccup gulped and nodded nervously.

- I'm staying to fulfil the prophecy. We... will stay around, I'll set up a camp in the cove. ... I... I... need to clear my head. Be right back.

With that he planted a kiss on my cheek and slipped away, before I knew what was going on, he was up in the air flying away. Again.

I have no idea when my dragons did get beside me, both of them standing awkwardly clueless about what to do next. The healer seemingly satisfied returned back inside, closing the door. The approaching footsteps were our cue to go, taking my dragons to the cove.

I would be lying if I'd say I knew what was going on.

The dragons were like lost puppies, loss on understanding, loss on confidence. The riders maintained their proud look, like they had any idea of Hiccup's intentions. By noon they were sent away, to the Ice Sanctuary.

At least most of them. Few headed back home... everyone was gone expect me. Our leader did not pay attention on me, and I couldn't deny I was envy. Mostly because the frustration over the fact I have no idea what Gothi had told him.

Someone grabbed my shoulders, my scream echoed through the whole forest.

Hiccup laughed at my stern look, before returning his sad-lost expression...

I couldn't get anything out of him in the afternoon, me sitting next to him, we were cuddling between the dragons, when the night fell, Trouble brought some logs that were on fire.

- I think I got it. - I blinked in surprise when I finally heard his voice. - He must be the costumer. He must be the one, we couldn't track down... the one that Eret mentions as the Evil himself... the one we freed him from...

- What are you talking about?

- The prophet, the prophecy!

- What prophecy?

- Gothi showed me, when we wanted to leave. There is a foe, as strong if not stronger than the hunters! In the haunting memory of Berk, by time he will come here as well. Gothi showed me the signs... that clearly shows it's me who faces him!

- ...

- I don't want to fight anymore! We've just overcome the Red Death and the Hunters! Astrid I don't... I... I...!

His voice cracked, and his speech turned quiet sobs. I kissed down the salty tears, but when it was obvious there is no fight against them, I hugged him and let him have his break down. Toothless placed his head into his lap, Hiccup leaned on, and cried. I leaned on him, rubbing circles on his skin.

(A/N New style. More or less. The last chapter was half done, and this is the first I wrote right now. I hope you all like it.)

(Edit: I corrected a few minor misspelling.)