Chapter 2 - Panic

- Saturday, January 27th –

As always on Saturday, I have a soccer match to play. Today we're facing the current number one in the competition. So far, they won all of their games and the only way for us to become champion, is to win this game.

It would be best to win the game with big numbers, but let's focus on scoring at least one goal to begin with.

While it's been a bit of discussion what to do with those who've been benched a lot during the season, and whether or not they deserve more time in the field, today the coach decided to line up the best possible team.

Which means Oliver is captain, leading us from the defence, sweeping up every ball that managed to get to our side of the field.

It also means that Sam is mid-mid, running around like crazy as the hyperactive guy he is all day, every day.

And it means that I'm in offence, flanked by Felix and Jaimie.

So far, the opponent hasn't done much to show for their current position in the competition. So far, we haven't either.

It's a mess, none of our attacks were remotely close to what we are capable of and it's pretty much clear on both sides, the defenders are overpowering the offence.

It's a boring game. It's muddy, it's cold, and it just started raining to top it off with a cherry. This is a small part of what I hate about soccer. The matches that aren't excited in any way.

Half time passed, and our coach practically shouted at us for 15 minutes straight and sent us back out with a message that we would be running all practice long, both on Tuesday's and Thursday's if we wouldn't start playing the game we are good at.

We're lined up, ready to start the second half, and Felix is with the ball, in the middle of the field. Jaimie and Sam are on both sides of the centre circle, awaiting him to pass the ball towards Oliver.

For this one occurrence, he decided to come forwards, as he has the best kick on our team. I'm at the left side of the field – as the fastest player – supposedly not doing much, awaiting the referee to blow his whistle and tell us we have a go.

I watch him check up if the goalkeepers and assistant referees are ready to go, jumping in my spot to warm up a bit.

The whistle blows, I watch Sam and Jaimie run forwards, instantly being covered by two defenders each. That's when I start off, in the exact same time Felix' passed the ball towards Oliver, who aims, and shoots the ball over nine opponents, right in front of me.

They did not expect it, and there's only two of guys in front of me to prevent me from scoring. Their nasty sweeper, and their goalie.

I trick the defender, allowing him to notice in time that I was tricking him, only to trick him again right away, now passing him on his left, lining up with the goal and goalie, easily passing the ball aside him and into the far corner of the goal.