Chapter 29 - Showing

– Friday, June 1st, 2018 –

I'm growing more nervous the closer we get to aunt Cady's house. Since we both aren't fit to drive, mom agreed to bring us over, but not without sending us both worried looks every so often.

I did hear her bicker with dad, before she asked to see Finnley in private. I heard her demand an honest answer to the question if he was purposefully taking me to aunt Cady.

Finnley feigned innocence, asking her what she meant, reminding her of the fact aunt Cady invited him over multiple times already, and then added the fact he misses his cousins Liv and Lara.

He pushed his luck a bit, by telling mom heneeded this to process the events of the past months and that's why he wanted to go.

She couldn't say no after that, mostly because as soon as they left the office, she saw Finnley walk up to me a bit tense, and relaxing as soon as I put my arms around him to hold him close.

She gave in, because she knows there will be a moment he needs to face his own demons, and he wants me there when he does.

The fact I will face some of my demons in the same time, is what makes me nervous to no end.

We're early, Finnley fell asleep in the car, and I contemplated on sleeping myself too, but then decided against it because then mom would have to drive an hour in silence to aunt Cady, and an hour alone and in silence back.

She won't be picking us up tomorrow, since Sam and Oliver are taking us to watch a soccer match that is part of a tournament in which the team I'm supposed to be in is participating. Alex promised to come too and bring us home once we were tired and done for the day.

But that's the best-case scenario, which means the events of today won't drain us from too much energy as it is already.

"Promise me to call if anything is wrong, okay?" Mom whispers, grabbing my hand to squeeze it, while she's waiting for the gates in front of a huge mansion to open and offer us entrance. I stare with wide eyes towards the house, nodding in agreement without really realising what I'm agreeing to.

"I knew they were rich..."

Mom chuckles and shrugs with one shoulder. "Maybe you'll remember some happy times you spend here after tonight. I hope it's the happy memories." She parks the car next to a small car that seems like it hasn't been used in a while. "Cris?"

"Yes?"

"Can we agree on one thing?"

"What's that thing?"

"Stay inside?"

"Why would I go out?"

I see her looking towards a sleeping Finnley in the back mirror. "He might ask you to do things you shouldn't."