Chapter 23 - Use your senses

– Monday, May 21st, 2018 –

I watch as mom takes a seat in the waiting area, smiling towards me happily. I turn after smiling back, and greet nurse Rianne, who's smiling at me from behind the desk. "He's already on his way here." She nods her head and opens the sliding door for me to see Finnley shuffling through the hallway. He looks weak, again, and a bit pale, but smiling widely nonetheless.

After Stan and Oliver visiting me on Friday, I got my parents to take me to see him on Saturday, so I could tell him that I still wanted him to be my boyfriend and tell him that I do love him, despite not having memories to go with our relationship.

As soon as he passes the sliding doors, we link our hands together, and I peck a kiss onto his chapped lips.

"Where are we going?" he curiously asks, as mom gets up from the seat again.

"Mom is driving us to the park, we'll grab ice cream and sit down."

"Sounds good." He smiles, but it's a tired smile.

"Are you sure it's okay? We can stay here too if you're tired."

"Cris..." He sighs, leaning his head onto my shoulder tiredly. "I'm always tired." He nervously chuckles, and I feel him tremble a bit. "I'm used to that nowadays."

I swallow back the words that threatened to spill. I wanted to blurt out that I know about him needing a kidney, but I know if I do in front of mom, she knows I overheard way more too.

"So, you want to go to the park?"

"Yes." He pulls his head back and nods. "It'll be good to get out of here for a while."

I smile, nod, and peck a kiss on his cheek. "Okay, let's go."

He smiles thankfully for not pushing him to stay in hospital, even though I would rather have him closer to here, to make sure he would be able to get help in time if needed.

Let's be honest, I have no idea if he's only here because he's mentally unstable, or because he's physically not capable of leaving either.

I have no idea how bad his current health is right now.

I remain silent for the duration of the ride, simply holding Finnley's hand, while I watch him, while he nervously glances out of the window, taking in the passing surroundings, until mom stops by the park.

"Okay, kids, here's your stop." She turns to look at us and smiles. "Go grab ice cream, and have a fun day out of that place." The last words are mainly addressed towards Finnley. "But remember, both of you need to call in time if I need to pick you up."

We both nod, and scramble out of the car to get away from her lecturing us more.

"Call me when you're ready to go." She calls out from the window, chuckling as I send her an annoyed look. I'm not a toddler. We're just both physically weak, not irresponsible.