Chapter 33 - Verdict

– FOUR MONTHS LATER –

– Tuesday, October 2nd, 2018 –

"Will the jury foreperson please stand? Has the jury reached a unanimous verdict?"

While the jury foreperson rises to her feet, I feel Finnley nervously shuffling in his spot right next to me, and I automatically reach for his hand to intertwine our fingers, squeezing it reassuringly.

The amount of evidence against Sydney was massive, and that along with the witnesses all taking the stand and testify against him, I think it's a safe bet this case is clear as ever.

But that doesn't mean the jury agrees on him being guilty on all counts against the law. It doesn't mean they have to agree on it at all.

"We have, your honour."

The clerk hands the judge a paper, which he reads in silence, while tension is getting the best of me, and I start biting my lip again.

We've already went through trial to get Jeffrey Donaughy sentenced to life in prison – without the possibility of an early release – but this case, against Sydney Lund, is so much more important, since he turned out to be one of the masterminds behind the criminal organisation that ruined Finnley's life, and not just his.

The foreperson clears her throat, shuffling a foot before she takes a deep breath. "The jury finds the defendant guilty on all five accounts against the law."

I feel Finnley relax beside me while he lets out a breath he was probably holding, and I notice a tear rolling down Eva Lund's face, but the smile on it tells me it's a tear in relief; it's final, it's done. Finnley will be safe.

And since both Eva and James Lund have done everything in their power to help Finnley with this case, I think it's safe to say – despite the fact their eldest son was just found guilty on some serious counts against law – they wanted nothing but getting him in jail.

There're voices bubbling up around us, while I turn to look at Finnley, who shows an insecure smile.

We just remain seated for a little longer, waiting for most people to leave the courtroom.

"I can't believe that is over." Finnley whispers carefully, squeezing my hand. "Tell me this isn't a dream."

"It's not. It's real, you're safe."

"Thank god for that." He leans his head onto my shoulder as we stop walking as soon as we reached my parents, and Finnley's parents in the hallway.

"How are you feeling?" Mom smiles at Finnley, Eva looks a bit worried.

"You look a bit pale."

"I'm exhausted, honestly. But I'm... good." He nods, and again squeezes my hand.

I ignore Eva shortly looking towards our hands – she's really trying her best to accept everything, but she still acts awkward around us. And ever since we told them we're engaged, that awkwardness only grew.

"Let's go and find Stan and Nathan." Finnley nudges me and I nod, following him outside and into the cold October air.

A gentle wind is blowing, but the temperatures are still high for the time of the year.

I let go of Finnley's hand as I spot Nathan and Stan, walking over to us with a stroller, and Finnley instantly smiles widely, and hurries in their direction.

"Stan told me everything already." Nathan smiles happily as we watch Finnley picking Mila up from out of the pram, holding his daughter protectively, leaning to peck small kisses onto her forehead.