Chapter 18 - Unbalanced memories

– Thursday, May 10th, –

I heard them talk about how 'lucky' I am. To be alive, to not have that much injuries. Because apparently the car flipped over at least three times before it came to a stop against the guardrail.

It's all I know, and that's the end of it. It makes sense seeing the fact I remember noises that go along with a car crash, but I can't visually picture the crash, or anything that happened prior to it; two fucking years in total.

And the doctor's advised against filling my head with memories that wouldn't feel like my own, that would pool my mind and maybe even make recovery more difficult.

Simply because if they would tell me things, the doctors wouldn't be able to judge my recovery upon what I can remember. They would never be sure if I do really remember, or if I know because I was told by others.

Just like the past two days, I woke up to find Finnley seated in a chair next to my bed, asleep in what seems to me an uncomfortable position.

I asked him why they won't just allow him to sleep in the same room as I do, since it's a double room and the other bed is empty anyway, but he simply responded, 'he sleeps in a different ward'.

I calmly asked him which ward, because I still have no idea why he's still in hospital while he's obviously allowed to wander of during the nights, but he didn't answer.

I asked if he was staying in the psychiatric ward – which I think would be logical after being abducted – but he didn't answer.

Other then yesterday, today he has no appointments to go to, and no visitors to go and meet up with, so he's in my room constantly, but I don't get why since we're hardly talking.

Stan visited on Tuesday, again yesterday after school, and he just showed up again today, with a big bouquet of flowers and a stuffed teddy bear.

I didn't miss the look he sent Finnley right before he leaned in to peck a kiss on my lips, awkwardly scratching the back of his head right afterwards.

"How are you doing today?"

"Bored, annoyed..." I shrug. "The usual."

"He's been asking questions again." Finnley simply tells him without looking up from the book he's reading. "And he's annoyed because obviously he's not getting any answers. Could you get it in his head that I'm not the right person to ask questions too?"

Stan stares at Finnley for a while, obviously a bit lost on how to react, before he decides on ignoring it, sitting down beside me on the bed. "Did you sleep okay?"

"I had a nightmare again." I admit, burying my face against his chest, smiling as I feel him wrap his arms around me, though I did notice the fact he shortly froze, as he does every time. "Threw up again. I keep dreaming I'm drowning, and then there's these noises and lights that are too bright."