Chapter 4 - Hometown

- Tuesday, March 6th, –

I just gave a presentation with Sam about a project that we're doing with Nikki and Vera. But other then usual, Sam had to step in on a regular base to answer questions at the end, because I basically messed up a big part of what I was supposed to explain. I simply left out a lot of information and I think I simply screwed up the presentation single handed. But how could I focus while I'm a mess even when I'm not doing anything that requires me to focus. And then there's the fact I'm in a classroom I know Finnley was in when I first saw him in this school, and I can't keep my eyes off the table he was seated at.

He was here, and now he's not.

All I want right now is to find him, make sure he's alive and well, and be with him again. I lost way too many time that I could've spent with him because of trivial fights and I hate it that we finally stepped over that line, told each other how important we are to each other, only for Jeff to take him away from me again.

Normally, I would've stayed after class to talk over what went wrong, and to solve some issues that came up during the round of questions. But today I simply lacked the energy to stay until the last class was finished, and I told Sam I was going home early.

He didn't even complain. Which is probably because I look like a zombie to begin with. Let alone the fact I'm not my cheery and outgoing self.

And instead of staying home, I decide to screw all, grab some stuff, and head over to my parents. I let Nathan, Stan and Oliver know that I went to my hometown, to my parents, and that I would let them know when I will be back. But right now, I need a bit of motherly pampering and I'll admit, I'd like some dull messing around with dad too.

I miss his stupid dad-jokes.

But I mostly miss my mom's wise words and her way of calming me down with the simplest of smiles or gestures.

It takes over half an hour to drive home and when I arrive, both of my parents are already home from work, with both their cars on the driveway. I park mine – or actually Finnley's car – in front of the house, grab my bag and head around the back like I always used to.

"Cody, is that you?" My mom calls out when I put my bag on the ground and open the fridge to grab a drink. "Could you get me some water?"

I chuckle and grab her a bottle of water, following the sound of her voice towards the dining room. She's setting the table, and not just for her and dad, but for two more.

"Could you put out an extra plate?" I ask innocently as I lean against the doorpost.

She jumps up, swirls around and looks at me with wide eyes. "Cristian!" She calls out, rushing towards me. "Oh, baby! I didn't know you were coming over today. Don't you have school tomorrow?" She hugs me, and I feel my entire body relax in her hold, sighing in content as I hold her close and bury my face in the croak of her neck. I swore I grew a little since I last saw her around new year, because she seems to get smaller every time.