Chapter 12 - Shared feelings

– Thursday, March 29th, –

"I can't afford any longer, without Finn paying his part of the rent. And I stay over at Cady's place more anyway." Jason explains, as he guides me towards Finnley's bedroom. He asked me, and some other friends, to help him pack his stuff. He cancelled the rental lease, finding friends who're going to take it over. But since it's the end of March, and Jason kind of decided to leave the apartment in a hunch, he wants all stuff out by April, so he won't have to pay another month of rent on his own.

We have two days to pack everything and move it out.

I suggested to take in most of Finnley's stuff, offering to stall it in our shed and office so he doesn't have to wonder where to take it for now.

I know we could easily take it to aunt Cady's place, but I wanted his stuff close, because it makes me feel as if he's close.

I already know I'm going to put his books in my bedroom, and I'm already sure I'm going to wear his sweaters constantly now that I have renewed access to them.

I mean, I had access – I have a spare key to their house – but I didn't want to go over by myself to pick up sweaters and hoodies.

First and foremost because I'm not supposed to be outside on my own. Not after what happened to Nathan, in our freaking street.

"Cady gave me boxes, I put some on Finn's bed, so you can just put his stuff in there. Maybe use a marker to write on them what is inside. Oliver is taking care of the office and I'm already done with my bedroom for the most part so I'm starting in the living room with Liam and Jason." Jason looks around Finnley's deserted bedroom, that still is exactly the way it was when he was last in here himself.

And the very fact that everything has been untouched, makes me sad all the more. Finnley last touched these things, and now I'm packing his stuff into boxes, storing them in several locations because he isn't here to use any of this stuff.

It's heart-breaking to think about.

But we also got a message from the police that they're looking into the latest advertisement about Finnley. They didn't give out any details, but they assured us the lead is still fresh.

New enough to follow, despite it being over two months old.

I spoke to Nathan's parents, and they told us that the cops are positive about their search to locate him, so I guess we all have to keep up our hopes as much as possible.

Starting with not sulking over the fact Jason is moving back to aunt Cady for now, and this will soon be taken by two other students.

Finnley's room will be used by people who don't even know him, who have no idea why the apartment will be available for them to rent in the first place.

Someone's going to change this room into his or her own, as if it was never Finnley's room to begin with.

I shake off the thoughts about Finnley and him not being here, and start piling books and clothes into boxes, making sure to divide the weight of the books to make sure we'll still be able to carry them down the stairs.