Chapter 16 - Confession

– Thursday, April 12th, –

Oliver is picking me up for practise, kind of forcing me to go, telling me I can't bail on my team. And ever since I read Finnley's letter, promising me he will be back and telling me he can't wait to be back, I've been cheerful enough to deal with people again.

I hate how I still can't talk to Finnley, or even write him back, but I can deal with it. I can deal with it solely because I know he's somewhere safe, waiting the right time to come home again.

His parents are holding back information and it's frustrating me to no end to now know the full story while I feel like I'm more entitled to know everything about Finnley's current and past situation compared to the people who let him down again and again before.

But they're still his parents and the law state's they have to be informed about their son, while I, as his boyfriend, am simply that; his boyfriend.

It's up to his parents to decide what to tell me and what not to tell me, and them sharing the letter is already exceptional since mostly his mother still doesn't seem to fully comprehend and accept me as her son's boyfriend.

Baby steps, just like I'm taking today, getting in the car with Oliver while I'm still upset with him for hanging out with Alex as much as he does.

I know he drove after me, but I feel as if he felt obligated to do so because Sam wouldn't accept no for an answer when he demanded Oliver to make sure I was fine.

"Hello there." Oliver smirks, not aware we're far from good right now, taking me in by looking me up and down.

"Hi." I mumble, sliding in the passenger's seat, buckling up for the ride.

"Still grumpy?" Oliver backs out of the driveway, his smile never wavering.

"Still upset, yes." I shrug, turning to stare out of the window. I wish I wouldn't have gone home to my parents by public transportation, instead taking Finnley's car. I could've driven myself to practise.

"Oh, come on..." Oliver groans, and I can imagine him rolling his eyes in annoyance. "I said I was sorry, didn't I?"

"Sorry doesn't always solve everything."

"I know that..." Oliver mumbles, and I didn't miss the sadness in his voice. "But I really am sorry, Cris. I just..."

"You just?" I press him to go on, wandering what he just... is? Wanted? Was thinking?

"Never mind... Let's just get to practise. We need your scoring ability."

I know they tied last Saturday when I bailed on them. I know they struggled to keep it to a tie, nearly losing because it's all they did; defend the goal with the whole team.

Felix apparently had been sick, and Jaimie was needed midfield, so they had no real offence.

Back then, I couldn't care less. By now, ever since I read the letter, I know this whole mess is going to be temporary, and I'll just have to try my best to keep life moving forward.