Chapter 5 - Memories

- Thursday, March 8th, –

The initial shock of Emma's pregnancy, Finnley's never-ending pile of secrets, and his parents change settled down a bit, and Oliver came over today to keep me company while visiting Emma myself.

I need to see for myself if she's really pregnant. I need to hear her tell me myself before I will really believe it is true.

And that Finnley's going to be a father while he's not even here to witness it.

Oliver is driving since my mind keeps taking me to weird places and I'm not really focused enough to drive and get us to our destination safely.

I don't think I've said anything to Oliver so far, but by now I don't need to say anything for him to know I'm thankful he's here with me right now.

He arrived and came inside to wait patiently – though he's still impatient as ever – for me to be ready to leave. He simply hugged me tightly but hasn't said anything himself either.

I think he knows there's nothing to say right now. I told him all that Finnley's parents told me on Tuesday and how they are now open to the idea of Finnley and me together as a couple. How we might have gotten through to them in November.

We just never spoke to them again afterwards to find out we did.

And now I just wish Finnley would be here, so he'd know his parents are accepting him the way he is. Not that I expect him to forgive them as soon as he's home, but I do know Finnley secretly really missed home.

Oliver parks the car in the parking lot that is meant for visitors and in silence we walk towards the entrance. We're entering right behind a guy, holding a toddler on his arm and we wait until he is done signing in as a visitor himself, before we walk towards the lady behind the desk.

"Name?"

"Cristian Evans and Oliver Makenzie," I answer with a slightly trembling voice.

"Visiting?"

"Emma Howards."

She nods knowingly while typing on the keyboard, staring towards the screen. "Have you visited before?"

"No 'mam."

"Read this, and sign this." She hands us papers and taps a line, telling us where to sign. "Once you did, I'll sign you guys in. Visitations start in fifteen minutes, so you have plenty of time." She smiles towards us.

We nod in unison and sit down – again in silence – both focused on our papers, reading rules. Which include no touching besides a short hug or handshake at the beginning and end of the visitation. Like I want to touch her. No cursing, loud talking, or PDA. We're allowed to bring in snacks, but we're not allowed to leave them behind for Emma to take.

The list goes on for a while, and I almost feel as if we're in jail ourselves too. But on the other hand, these rules make me a bit at ease. If Finnley did indeed visit Emma in jail, at least she wasn't capable of touching him in any way.