Chapter 6 - Broken together

- Friday, March 16th, –

I'm lazily hanging on the couch after reading another bunch of letters that Emma wrote to Finnley. By now I know Finnley never received these letters, since him and Charlie got in a fight and Charlie stopped delivering Finnley's mail.

I also know – if it's true – that Finnley visited Emma twice, shortly before we had a falling out and I left him on his own, pushing him over the edge to try and end his life.

Finnley, by what the letters tell me, went through a lot of things I didn't know.

Like the fact he was bullied in his new high school and he told Emma. Not me and I wonder if Oliver knows.

Or anyone else.

And ever since I read the letters in which Emma expressed her feelings again and again, and how she longed to be with him. How happy she was when he finally showed up to visit her, I'm diving deeper and deeper into my depression, again realising Finnley still kept certain things hidden from me.

And I can't help but feel guilty because I obviously wasn't the good friend to him that I thought I was. If I had been, he wouldn't have been nervous or scared to tell me the things he kept hidden from me.

Eventually I call Sam and ask him if he's going out, being notified he's already in town with Jaimie, Eli, and a bunch of other guys from soccer and school. And since Nathan and Stan are out on a date, I decide on joining them because I feel the need to relax, and maybe drink myself into oblivion once more.

I can't get rid of the image that is stuck in my mind of Emma and Finnley kissing in front of her parental house years ago. A memory that was long lost but made an appearance while reading the letters.

A memory that was followed by me, drunkenly kissing Finnley in his room, telling him that I goddamn loved him and accusing him of going behind my back and kiss Emma.

I was a lousy friend for telling him that, while I was the one who slept or at least kissed another girl each month.

I'm not in the best mood to go out and make fun with friends, but at least I could try to get my mind off of things. I try calling Oliver a bunch of times to see if he's willing to come out too, but he never answers his phone or the texts I've sent him in the past half an hour. Sam, as the great guy he is, agreed to pick me up so that I wouldn't have to go out by myself and together we grab a cab towards the city centre.

Sam's been informing me how Jaimie seduced a girl, how him and Nikki kissed yet again – just like last week – and how he's into her.

Which I already knew but never asked him about.

I think Sam liked Nikki from the moment we figured she wasn't the lazy girl we thought she was. She's actually a lot of fun, despite not showing up in school that much.