Chapter 9 - Innocent flirting

- Wednesday, March 21st, –

Oliver is at me tail, trying to pass me on the go-kart track. But every time I allow him, he somehow slows down a bit and I get to overtake him again. Sam and Alex are somewhere on this track too, but as it has three layers to race, I have no idea where they are, and I'm doubting to stop for a while to allow Oliver to get away. It's not about passing the line first here it's about setting out the best time, any round.

And I know there's a lightboard above the finish and start line where I could find out who is in first place, but I really don't have time to look up and away to find out my time, or Oliver's. Or Alex's or Sam's for that matter.

Oliver and I could be fighting over who gets to drive ahead, while they're killing our time. But I figure, since they went onto the track behind us, and they're now nowhere in sight, they must be a bit slower.

We have three heats, and the first was won by Oliver. It was my first time in a very, very long time to drive a go-kart and I wasn't doing great, coming in third after Sam too. The second round, however, I beat Oliver's fasted time and not only his best time in that heat, but in the first one too. And now he wants revenge, but I'm getting away from him.

There's no more flags waving to tell me to let him pass – which is one of the rules on this track.

And I'm glad Oliver once again pulled his credit card to simply hire the entire track for just the four of us. Which might come across as spoiled and selfish to others, but it was a necessity according to him.

And looking at the group that was on the track before it was our time, I agree. They had been slow, they had been so inexperienced that they kind of kept bumping into the better riders, or not let them pass while people had been signalling them with flags. They didn't seem to know the rules, nor where to find the brakes on these go-karts.

I'm not in the right mood to deal with that kind of people because go-karting is already expensive enough as it is already. I don't want to spend money only to be disappointed and annoyed by strangers.

I manage to stay in the 'lead' for another two rounds and then there's suddenly flashing lights and flags telling me that our time is up, and we have to leave the track. Time no longer counts, and I slow down a bit while finishing the lap.

I find Sam and Alex already in the pits and Oliver shortly follows after me. We're now going to try and finish an escape room.

"They'll give our times upstairs in the bar area." Sam nudges me. "Think you beat Oliver again?"

"I hope." I smirk, sending a look in Oliver's direction. He's ruffling his hair after removing his helmet, sending me an amused look.

"It's a shame I'm too nice to lock you into that escape room by yourself." He tells me, putting an arm around my shoulder, now also ruffling my hair. "If I wouldn't know any better, I'd say you just had sex, Cris." He whispers, leaning closer to whisper into my ear.