ACCIDENT

Alexandria Anderson

  I wake up and realize that I was still on the window seat with a blanket on, I must’ve fallen asleep whilst I was unpacking my stuffs. I put the blanket at the side and tie my hair, as I walk to the bathroom to wash my face and continue to unpack my clothes and put them into the closet. I only have a couple shirts to unpack, so I was through in just half an hour. As I put the suitcase away, I hear a knock from the door and Mom stood at the doorway with a smile.

  “Hi, mom.” I smile at her, putting the suitcase down on the floor.

  “Good morning, sweetheart,” she walks into the room and looks around the room. “breakfast’s ready.”

  “Okay, I’ll just follow.” I reply, as I push the suitcase at the side of the room.

  She stops walking and looks at me, “Well, is there anything I can do to help you?”

  “Nah, I am alright, Mom, thank you.” I assure her with a warm smile.

  “If there’s anything I can do to help, just call me okay?” she says, as she walks towards the door and stops to look at me.

  I smile and nod, “Thank you, Mom.”

  “Anything, sweetheart, I’ll see you downstairs.” she replies whilst smiling and leaves the room.

  I stand next to the bed for a couple seconds, just looking at the pile of boxes – which contains documents, picture frames, and other miscellaneous – that I have to unpack at the corner of my room. I am still kinda tired from moving in the other day, so I decided to just unpack them tomorrow. Afterwards, I head downstairs and Mom just got off the telephone with someone. We sit across from each other on the dining table and start to eat our breakfast, which are blueberry pancakes.

  “Oh, sweetheart.” Mom covers her mouth, as she chews her food.

  “Yeah?” I ask, looking up at her.

  “I’d like to go to Westfield later and I’d really appreciate it if you go out with me, but if you’re tired or if you still have to unpack your stuffs, we’ll just go out once we’re settled.” she says.

  “Well, I still have to unpack a couple boxes but I decided to just unpack them tomorrow so I’ll go.” I chuckle and take another slice of pancake.

  “Thank you, sweetheart.” she smiles. “We can go to a nearby ice skating rink before we head back, what do you think?” she asks.

  “Sure, that sounds fun.” I beam like a five year old kid, making her smile.

  I continue to eat and when I look up at Mom, she was just looking at me with a small smile.

  “What’s the matter?” I ask whilst chewing my food.

  “Nothing, I am just excited.” she looks away and continues to eat her food.

  I furrow my eyebrows as I look at her, trying to figure out what she’s thinking.

  “Well, it’s just that we haven’t hung out in a long time.” she says without looking away from her food, as she picks at her food.

  “Oh.” I look down, I didn’t know what to say; I understand that her work requires so much of her time, that there are times wherein she doesn’t get to eat anymore because she’s always on the go, times wherein she’d leave in the middle of the night to go to the hospital, but still it makes me kinda sad.

  “I am so sorry, sweetheart.” she sighs, which causes me to look up at her.

  “You don’t have to say sorry, Mom, it’s alright.” I assure her, giving her a genuine smile. “Honestly, I am really happy that we’re going out today.”

  Mom smiles a little with an apologetic look on her face, “I’ll make it up to you, I promise.” she says, I know she’s just trying to look as if she’s okay but it’s obvious that it’s actually bothering her.

  “Mom,” I reach for her hand and look at her emphatically. “it’s okay, really, I understand.”

  She weakly smiles at me and nods, “I am so lucky to have a daughter like you.”

  I just smile and the two of us continue to eat our breakfast. When we are through, I help Mom with the dishes and go upstairs to my room to get ready. I take a bath and put on a pair of black jeans, a white cropped hoodie, and a pair of white sneakers, then tie my hair into a high ponytail and put on some light makeup. I head downstairs and walk into the Living room, where Mom’s waiting and we left our house and head to the train station and take a train to Shepherd’s Bush.

  “You want to have ice cream or something?” she asks, stopping in front of the food court.

  “I am still kinda full, but if you want to eat again..” I shrug, leaving the decision on her hands.

  “Actually, I am craving for some ice cream.” she sheepishly chuckles and starts to walk to the food court.

  I chuckle and adjust the strap of my bag, as I walk alongside her.

  “Let’s have lunch first and go shopping afterwards, is that okay?” she asks.

  “Yeah.” I casually reply and look around the court, trying to think of what I want to eat.

  Mom and I order some ice creams and went on shopping after. When we don’t have anything else to buy, we head to the ice skating rink that Mom was talking about during breakfast. Mom pays for the admission and for the skate rental, before we go to the counter and rent a pair of skates.

  “I think the skates are too small.” Mom says, grumbling as she struggles to put them on properly.

  I look at the skates and chuckle, “You forgot to untie the laces first Mom.”

  “Oh!” she laughs sheepishly, untying the laces already.

  “Want me to help you?” I ask.

  “No, thank you,” she looks up at me and smiles. “just go ahead, sweetheart, I’ll just follow in a bit.”

  I nod and go out on the ice rink, I stop at the side and just quickly check my Twitter, as I wait for her. Without any warning, someone bumps into me – throwing me off balance. I fall down on my butt and when I look up, I saw a boy with brunette hair who’s handing his hand out to me. I was reluctant about taking his hand for a second, but I take it anyways.

  “Thank you.” I utter as he helps me up.

  “Are you okay?” he asks, the concern on his voice is palpable.

  “Yeah, I am alright.” I assure him whilst fixing my hoodie.

  “Uh, I, um – I am really really sorry.” he stutters out.

  I look up at him and smile, “It’s okay, don’t worry about it.”

  “No, it isn’t, how can I make it up to you?” he asks, man is he persistent.

  “That won’t be necessary,” I say and I see my Mom walking into the ice rink. “excuse me, I have to go.”

  “Wait a second.” he says, just as I am about to go to my Mom.

  “Yeah?” I ask, stopping and turning to look at him.

  “Have we, um.. met?” he stutters out.

  I look at him for quite a while, trying to think of the answer; he does look a little familiar, but I don’t know if we really met before. I snap out of my thoughts, when he shakes his head.

  “Nevermind, sorry.” he scratches the back of his neck.

  “It’s alright, I have to go.” I smile at him and go to my Mom.

  “Who’s that?” she asks once I reach her, I didn’t know she was watching.

  I shake my head, “He ran into me while I was waiting for you.”

  “Are you okay?” she asks, looking at me in concern.

  “Yeah, though my butt hurts a little.” I chuckle.

  Mom laughs and shakes her head, before the two of us start to skate.