DEEP TALK

Alexandria Anderson

  After hanging up, the boys keep on calling me but I just ignore them and put my phone on silent until I arrive at Somerset. I take a taxi to the hospital and head straight to the information counter, where a girl talks to someone on the phone.

   “Good evening, may I ask where the ICU is?” I ask, when she finally puts the phone down.

   “Oh, it’s on the third floor; along the hallway to your left once you get off the elevator.” she answers.

   “Thank you so much.” I reply with a small smile which she returns, before I leave and take the lift to the third floor.

   I get off the lift and slowly walk down the hallway, looking through the window until I see Mom – sleeping on a chair near the bed. I take a deep breath, before quietly stepping into the room and walk over to the bed.

   “Hi, Nana.” I say to her even though she was still asleep.

   My eyes brim with tears, as I look at her – there are a bunch of tubes hook to her and an apparatus on her mouth to assist her breathing.

   “Alexandria?” I hear Mom asks groggily.

   I turn around and just hug her without saying any word and that is when I just start to cry.

   “Shh, don’t worry, sweetheart, she’s going to be alright.” she reassures me.

  I nod and wipe my cheeks, as I pull away. Mom starts to fill me in with everything – what the doctors said about Nana’s condition before and after the operation, how the stroke will affect her and her body, and the possible things that might happen to her.

   “But she’ll be okay, right?” I ask after she explains everything.

   “Yeah, of course; the doctors even said that she’s strong for someone who had a stroke, so the possibilities are really high.” she replies, smiling at me reassuringly.

   “I am really happy to hear that.” I glance at my grandmother and back at my Mom. “You’re probably tired from yesterday, mom. You should go home and rest, I’ll just look after her.”

   “Thank you, but I am alright, sweetheart, don’t worry about me.” she smiles and fixes my hair.

   Mom sits on the chair and before I sit down next to her, I pull my phone out from my pocket and unintentionally unlock the screen – showing me all the notifications.

9 unread messages
14 missed calls

   I just ignore them and lock the screen, putting it down next to me on the armrest.

   “Aren’t you going to call or text them back?” Mom looks at me questioningly.

   “Nah.” I shake my head, just looking at the monitors at the side of Nana’s bed.

   “Alexandria..” she says, causing me to look at her.

   Though, I look at her as if I didn’t know what she wants me to say.

   “What’s the matter?” she asks in concern, furrowing eyebrows.

   “Nothing.” I reply.

   “You don’t ignore people because of nothing.” she protests.

  “I don’t want to talk about it, Mom, and I don’t want to add up to your worries.” I tell her as I look away.

   “Alexandria, it doesn’t matter, just tell me.” she presses.

   I shake my head, “Hey, uh, it’s already late, Mom, why don’t you go home and take some rest, I’ll just look after her.” I change the subject and she just looks at me for a couple seconds, before letting out a breath.