MOVIE NIGHT

Alexandria Anderson

  I was watching the boys’ new vlog, when my phone starts to ring. Getting up from the swivel chair, I rush over to the bed where my phone is.

   “Hi, birthday girl!” Andy says enthusiastically, as soon as I answer his call on FaceTime.

   “It isn’t my birthday yet, Andy.” I chuckle, sitting down on the swivel chair.

   “Yeah, I know, I am just practicing for tomorrow.” he laughs.

   I smile and shake my head, “So, what’s up?”

   “Well, the boys and I are going to Westfield right now; we’re just going to get ready, we thought that you might want to come and buy yourself a gift –” someone suddenly bops his head, making him shriek. “ow!”

   He looks at the side and I hear murmurs from the background.

   “Yeah, I know!” Andy whisper shouts. “Hang on Alexa, Mikey’s going to talk to you.”

   “Okay.” I chuckle, then he passes his phone to Mikey.

   “Hey!” Mikey enthusiastically says.

   I smile back at him, “Hi, Mikey.” I reply.

   “We’re sorry about Andy.” he chuckles, looking at the side.

   “It’s okay.” I assure him.

   Brooklyn peeks at the side of the screen, he is currently topless and I see a blow dryer on his hand; he was probably doing his hair. He smiles and waves enthusiastically.

   “Are you going to come?” Brook asks, sitting down next to Mikey.

   “Uh,” I think for a few seconds and biting my lip, I nod in reply. “I’ll just get ready.”

  “We’ll see you in a bit then.” he chirps, getting up from the bed.

   “Yeah, see you.” I say to the boys.

   After talking for a bit, Mikey and I say goodbye to each other and I start to get ready. I am not really in the mood to dress up, so I just quickly change into a pair of jeans, a plain t–shirt, and put on a jumper on top. Afterwards, I tie my hair into a messy bun and just wait for the boys. Later on, I hear the doorbell ring; it must be them already. I hurry downstairs and to the front door to open it.

   “Sorry, it took us a while.” Rye sheepishly says, putting his hand on the back of his neck.

   “It’s alright,” I assure him. “I am already used to it.” I add, laughing.

   Me and the boys go to Westfield and I gotta say, Westfield is very Christmassy which I really like. It seems like no matter how old I get, I would still find Christmas the best holiday because of the decorations and stuffs; like putting out your own Christmas tree with your family or friends, putting Christmas lights outside your house and just waking down the street at night and seeing the colorful, bright lights.

   “Yo, we’re just going to look for that t–shirt from last night.” Mikey says to us.

   He, along with Andy and Brook, walk away without even waiting for our replies.

   “What shirt?” I ask, turning to Rye and Jack.

   “Football shirts.” Jack answers.

   “Oh, right.” I sheepishly chuckle as I bite my lip.

   Mikey and Andy were talking about them the other day in our groupchat, like it was just the two of them; they could’ve just spoke with each other since they’re in the same room.

   “Is there any place you’d like to go to?” Rye looks at me questioningly.

   “Hm, probably the bookstore.” I reply with uncertainty. “I am going to buy a book for my birthday.”

   “Let’s go then.” Jack says, already walking away.

   We walk to a bookstore and I split up with the boys to go to the fiction section and look for a book. As I was looking through the books, I see Rye from the other side of the aisle so I smile at him and continue looking. Later on, a book just drops from the shelf; making me jump. I hear a familiar laugh and someone comes out of the corner of the aisle and it was Rye.

   “Was that you?” I pick up the book that fell out from the shelf and put it back to its rightful place.

   He nods, whilst laughing and I shake my head at him.

   “You scared me.” I chuckle.

   “Sorry,” he says and puts his arm around my shoulder. “so did you find a book already?”

   I shake my head and after looking for a few more minutes, I pull out Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon from the shelf and hug it against my chest.

   “What about you,” I look at Rye. “are you going to buy a book?”

   He lifts a book in his hand and smiles, “Already found one, come on.”

   “What about you, Jack?” I ask.

   Jack just shakes his head and the three of us head to the counter, when it was our turn already; Rye takes the book from my hand and puts it on top of his. I take out my wallet and was going to pay for it, but Rye won’t take the cash that I am giving him.

   “It’s on me.” he says with a smile, as he hands the cash to the lady behind the counter.

   “Ryan..” I look at him in embarrassment.

   “I know you don’t want other people to buy you stuffs, but it’s your birthday.” he looks at me whilst the lady swipes his card.

   The lady gives Rye’s card back, before she puts the books into a bag and hands it over to Rye. He thanks her and as the three of us walk out of the shop, I hand him the cash again.

   “Alexandria.” he laughs, biting his lip as he looks at me.

   “Please, Ryan.” I insist, clinging onto his arms as I try to persuade him.

   “I am not asking you to pay for it,” he replies. “just think of it as a birthday gift.”

   “But –” I start to say, but he shakes his head and interrupts me.

   “Happy birthday, Alexandria.” he smiles and walks away, leaving me and Jack behind.

   I look over at Jack and he just smiles at me before we follow Rye, we meet up with the other lads to eat at Nando’s. Afterwards, the boys and I head back to our house and set up a movie.

   “Wait, I am just going to get the snacks.” Rye gets up from the sofa and walks towards the kitchen.

   Getting up from the sofa as well, I follow him into the kitchen and see Rye struggling to keep the chips and sodas on his arm so I hurry towards him.

   “You know, you can ask us for help.” I take the sodas from him and carry them as we walk back to the room.

   He looks at me and sheepishly smiles, “Thank you.”

   “You’re welcome.” I reply, walking through the door.

   We set the chips and sodas on the coffee table, before taking our seats. I take a bag of Lay’s and a can of root beer and sit back on the sofa, Rye was right next to me whilst the other boys are on their beds. In the midst of the movie, Rye lays down on the sofa and rests his head on my lap; making my heart beat faster.

   I feel like I am slowly falling for him. I thought to myself, but I quickly shake it off.

   It isn’t much of a surprise anyway, I mean his personality is really something to fall for but I can’t. I can’t fall for him, we’re just friends. I try my best to push the thought aside and just enjoy the movie.