ILLUSION

Rye Beaumont

   Two months had past already and we still haven’t heard from Alexandria ever since the night she overheard our conversation, we couldn’t even contact her – she uses a different number now and she no longer posts on any of her social medias anymore, we don’t even know if she’s still using them.

   “Guys, come look out the window!” Jack says to us urgently and looks back to the window.

   We didn’t do anything, we just look at him and when he notices it; he stomps his feet on the floor and scratches the back of his head.

   “Guys, I am serious.” he grumbles. “I think the Anderson’s are selling their house already.”

   “What?” Andy asks, getting up from the sofa.

   I quickly get off the bunk and look out the window, Andy taking Jack’s place so he could take a look. A man puts up a sign that says For Sale, before walking back to his truck and leaves.

   “I suppose she’s really not coming back then.” Jack sadly says, as he looks down.

   “We’re moving out anyways, so it doesn’t really matter.” I mutter, turning around to go back to my bed.

   “Rye.” Andy bluntly says and grabs my arm.

   “What?” I look at him with a straight face. “I am just saying.”

   Andy shakes his head and goes out of the room, it’s not like I don’t care that there is a possibility that she isn’t really coming back; it actually bothers me. I just want to convince myself that I don’t care, so I wouldn’t think about it that often even though it’s hard.

   “Hey, uh, Chris sent me a photo of the place where we’re going to shoot our cover.” Mikey says, trying to ease the tension in the flat.

   Mikey forwards the photo to our group chat and I just take a quick look at it, before looking back to my laptop.

   “Oh, the place looks familiar.” Brook says, still looking at his phone..

   “It’s in Manchester,” Andy answers, as walking back into the room. “it’s quite near to our house.”

   “Maybe we could stay at your place afterwards.” Jack suggests.

   “Yeah, let’s have a sleepover there.” Brooklyn adds whilst smiling.

   “Why not?” Andy chuckles.

   I just keep quiet, as the boys plan out the sleepover whilst I watch some videos on YouTube. After a couple minutes, I start to get ready. I just put a few shirts and sweatpants into my backpack and pull out an outfit from my luggage for the cover, before taking a bath.

• • •

   After filming the cover, the boys decide to go shopping since we don’t really have much to do. We are currently looking through a rack of shirts, but I stop when I heard a familiar voice. I look around and my attention diverts to a girl with brunette hair – walking towards the counter.

   “Alexandria?” I follow her, not caring if I bump into the racks as I did so.

   “Rye, wait!” I hear Andy shouts, but I just ignore him.

   A group of people walks into the store and due to my lack of attention, I run into an old lady. I stop and apologize to her, before I continue to look for Alexandria. However, I couldn’t see her anymore.

   “Mate, you can’t just walk away like that.” Mikey says as he catches up on me.

   “I am sorry, I was running after Alexandria but..” I breathe out, looking at the exit.

   Andy and the rest of the boys walk towards us and Andy looks at me expectantly.

   “I – I lost her.” I stutter out.

   “Are you sure that it’s her?” Mikey asks, looking at me questioningly.

   “I think so, I don’t know.” I shrug and look away.

   “Rye, we know how much you miss her but it could be just an illusion of yours.” Jack says.

   Andy nudges him and Jack looks at him and mouths, “What?”

   “Rye, what he’s trying to say is that we aren’t certain if that’s really her and –”

   I breathe out and shake my head, “I am just gonna go buy some Costa.”

   “A–alright, we’ll just follow after we pay for our clothes.” Andy replies.

   I nod, before leaving the shop and walk down the sidewalk of Manchester as I look for Costa.