CHEAT

Alexandria Anderson

   “Wait, how come I’ve never heard of him before?” Madison asks.

   I shrug, as I put the lid on the cup and hand the drink over to the customer waiting in line. Afterwards, I turn to face Madi who is in front of the expresso machine.

   “Madi, I don’t know what to do.” I let out a breath, as I look down at the floor.

   “You keep on saying that since you came in for work today.” she chuckles.

   I bite my lip, “I am sorry, it’s just that I don’t really know what to do.”

   “Don’t stress yourself too much, Lexi.” she walks closer and puts her hand on top of my shoulder, smiling at me reassuringly.

   “I’ll try my best.” I reply, as I let out a chuckle.

   Madison points to my direction and when I turn around, a customer is waiting. I apologize to her and go on to ask for her order and start to make it, before Madi and I continue our conversation about what happened with Rye the other night.

   “Be honest with me, is he the reason why you wouldn’t give Matt another chance?” she raises her eyebrows.

   “Well, it isn’t purely because of him –”

   She squeals, “So he is one of the reasons why, so that means you still like him.”

   “I –” I chuckle and shake my head, biting my lip. “to be honest, I don’t think that feeling went away and – I don’t know, it’s complicated.”

   “So, what are you planning now?” she asks.

   “I don’t know.” I say for the nth time today, breathing out.

   Madison laughs and shakes her head.

   “Oh, hi Matt.” she utters, as she looks at the person behind me.

   “Hey, Madison.” he replies with his usual gleeful voice.

   I didn’t turn around and breathe out, I check my wristwatch and good thing my shift’s already over five minutes ago.

   “Hey, Madi, I am gonna go ahead, my shift’s already over.” I quietly say to her and go to the back room without waiting for her reply.

   I remove my apron and take all of my stuffs and walk out of the room, Matt is already waiting at the exit but I just ignore him.

   “Are you still mad at me?” he asks, catching up on me.

   I didn’t say anything, as I walk past him and out of the cafe but he follows me and grabs my arm.

   “Wait, let’s talk about this, Lexi.” he says.

   “I have to go home already.” I bluntly reply, pulling my arm away from him.

   “Yeah, I know but it won’t take long, I promise.” he looks at me hopefully.

   I sigh, “What do you want to talk about?”

   “Uh, can we talk at my place –” he says, but I cut him off.

   “I thought it won’t take long, Matt.” I reply, looking at him deadpan.

   “Please, I miss hanging out with you.” he takes my hand in his, but I quickly pull it away.

   I look at him for a few seconds and breathe out, giving in anyways. “Okay, but I have to be home before 1:30.”

   “No problem.” he confidently replies, smiling.

   Matt and I walk to his car, which he rarely brings cause he knows that I’d rather walk than have him drive me home.

   “Sorry, my place’s really messy.” he unlocks the door to his flat and opens it.

   “It’s okay.” I follow him into the room, carefully making my way through the piles of clothes and shoes on the floor.

   “Have a seat.” he says, picking up a few shirts and socks on the floor and tosses them into the laundry basket at the side of his room.

   I sit on the sofa and just look around, I barely go to his place and it would look different every time I come over.

   “Would you like something to eat or drink?” he asks.

   “No, thank you, I am not hungry.” I bluntly reply. “Matt, can we just talk about it already?”

   He nods and sits down on the sofa next to me.

   “Look, I am sorry if I didn’t pay attention to you whenever we’re together, if you think that I don’t care about you, I have no excuse for my behavior.” he says.

   I didn’t say anything and just look at him, trying to discern his sincerity. Well, either way; I am going to forgive him anyways.

   “You know, I am not expecting you to give me your hundred percent attention, my only concern is that you would ask me to go out and when we do; we barely speak to each other, you shouldn’t have asked me to go out if you’re just going to do that.” I mutter.

   “I am really sorry, Lexi, it won’t happen again.” he replies.

   “Alright.” I simply say, nodding my head.

   “Um, do you forgive me already?” he looks at me hopefully.

   I smile a little and nod, “You know that I am not the kind of person who gets mad at someone for so long.”

   “Thank you, Lexi.” he says with a smile. “Wait, I am just going to order pizza.”

   He gets up from the sofa and goes to the phone, whilst I just sit there – looking around the place. As I wait for him to come back, Matt’s phone starts to ring and when I take a look at the caller ID; it says Baby

   “Baby?” I whisper to myself.

   A couple seconds after it stops calling, a text comes in:

fr: Baby
      — I guess you have a football practice again, anyway I can’t wait for tonight 😉

   Matt comes back into the room and plops down next to me on the sofa, resting his head on my shoulder.

   “So, you play football now?” I raise my eyebrows questioningly.

   “You know I don’t have time for that.” he sits up straight, letting out an anxious chuckle.

   “Is that so?” I ask. “Well, cause someone thinks you have a football practice again.”

   “What?” he asks, acting innocent but the nervousness perceptible in the tone of his voice.

   A text comes in and he anxiously picks his phone up from the coffee table and takes a look at it.

   “Lexi, it isn’t what you think it is.” he says, as he looks away from his phone.

   “I am not stupid, Matthew,” I reply, as I get up from the sofa. “I actually thought you aren’t like that anymore but I was wrong.”

   Putting the strap of my bag on my shoulder, I head to the door of his flat.

   He grabs my wrist, but I flick his hand off my wrist right away.

   “Don’t.. touch me.” I utter angrily.

  “Lexi, I can ex–”

   “I don’t wanna hear it, Matthew, and I don’t want to see you ever again.” I say and leave his flat.

   As I walk down the sidewalk, I dial Madison’s number but she isn’t answering so I just continue on walking.