BEACH

Alexandria Anderson

   It was really hot for the past couple of days, so the boys and I thought that we go out to the beach with my Mom, Blair, and Ginger. I wake up early to get ready for our trip to Bournemouth beach today, packing the stuffs that I will be using later; like extra clothes and snacks. As I get ready, I hear a knock from the door. I continue to tie my hair as I get up from the bed to answer the door.

  “Mom –” I stop, when I see her lab gown on her forearm. “Where are you going?” I ask in a faint tone.

   “At the hospital, something came up so I have to go there as soon as possible. I am really sorry, sweetheart, but I can’t go with you anymore.” she replies.

  “I am not going anymore then.” I turn around and walk into my room, leaving the door open for her.

   “No, sweetheart, I want you to go and have fun.” she walks into the room and sits down on the bed. “I’ll make it up to you, I promise.”

  I just sigh and nod, Mom smiles a little and kisses me on the forehead.

  “Well, I have to go, sweetheart.” she says, walking towards the door.

   I nod and we walk downstairs and before she leaves, she stops and turns to me.

   “Text me when you get there, okay?” she asks, fixing my hair.

   “Yeah, I will.” I reply in a flat tone.

   Mom smiles a little, “I am really sorry, sweetheart.”

  “It’s okay, Mom, really.” I say, smiling weakly.

  “Alright,” she breathes out. “bye, sweetheart.”

   “Bye.” I simply say, before she goes to her car and leaves.

  I walk upstairs and just sit on the edge of the bed, thinking if I should still go or what. Minutes had past and I am still undecided, so I take my phone from the bedside table and dial Andy’s number.

  “Alexa, hi!” he exclaims, as soon as he answers.

   “Hey, Andy.” I reply. “I, um, I am not going anymore.”

   “What, why, is everything okay?” he asks worriedly.

   “Yeah, it’s just that something came up at the hospital, so Mom isn’t coming anymore.” I trail off.

   “We’ll just pick you up then.” he says.

   “You don’t have to, Andy.” I tell him, slightly upset.

   “No, it’s okay, we want you to come.” he retorts.

   I hear Rye’s voice, then the shuffling on the background.

    “You’re not coming?” Rye asks.

   “Mom isn’t coming anymore so..” I trail off.

  “Don’t worry, Alexandria, just come with us and we’ll take care of you.” he reassures, making me smile.

  I hear Blair’s voice on the background and the boys saying a chorus of okay’s.

   “Alexandria, we’ll just load our stuffs into the car, see you in a bit.” Rye says.

  “Okay, see you.” I reply, then I hear shuffling from the background again.

   “We’ll be there in ten, so go and get ready.” Andy says.

   “A–alright.” I stammer.