BIRTHDAY GIFTS

Alexandria Anderson

  “Happy birthday to you!” I wake up to the mellow singing of the boys.

   I slowly open my eyes and blink a couple times, until I saw the boys by the doorway with Andy holding the cake. As I try to move, I realize that someone had put a blanket over me whilst I was sleeping. Sitting up straight, I rest the blanket on my lap and turn to the boys.

   “Happy birthday, Alexa!” they continue to sing, rather shouting the words.

   After singing, Andy walks towards me and lowers the cake in front of me.

   “Make a wish.” he says with a smile.

   A smile tugs at the corners of my lips as I close my eyes and wish for good health and happiness cause to be honest, I don’t really have much to ask for. After making a wish, I open my eyes and blow the candles.

   “Thank you so much, guys.” I look at each of them with a genuine smile.

   I receive a chorus of welcome’s and Andy puts the cake down on the coffee table, before the boys pull me into a group hug.

   “Aw, I love you boys so so much.” I whisper whilst we’re still in a hug.

   “We love you too!” they exclaim, before pulling away.

   Brook and Mikey goes to the kitchen and come back with plates and utensils, setting them on the coffee table next to the cake. Andy takes the knife and puts a slice on a plate and hands it out to me.

   “Birthday girl first.” he says whilst smiling, as he did so.

   “Thank you, Andy.” I reply, smiling back at him as I take the plate.

   The lads eat their cakes in just a few minutes whilst I still have half of the slice, cause I was savoring every bit of it. When they were through, the boys exchange looks before they all leave the room, leaving me by myself. After a while, the boys except Andy and Rye come back into the room.

   “Happy birthday, Alexa.” Jack smiles, handing me a red box.

   “Thank you.” I say, smiling back at him.

   I carefully unwrap the box, trying my best not to rip the wrapper and in the box was a really cute sweater.

   “Aw, this is really cute,” I take it out from the box and take a look at it. “thank you Jack.” I beam.

   “You’re welcome.” he replies, sitting down on his bed.

   “My turn.” Brook gives me a paper bag and sits down on the sofa next to me.

   I peek through the paper bag and there is a pack of makeups, I check them out one by one; making me laugh afterwards.

   “You don’t like it?” Brook worriedly asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

   “No, I actually love it, Brook.” I tell him, putting them back into the paper bag. “It’s just that I never thought that you would actually buy me a makeup and what’s more surprising is that you know what kind of makeup to buy.”

   “Thanks to my sister.” he chuckles, sitting back on the sofa.

   I smile, “Thank you, Brook.”

   “You’re welcome.” he replies.

   “Mine is just a simple gift, since.. you love to write.” Mikey says, giving me his gift.

   I unwrap the brown paper and it reveals a journal with black and white minimal design which I really love, you can tell that I am quite a minimalist.

   “Great timing, I just ran out of leaves the other day.” I giggle and put it down on my lap. “Thank you, Mikey.”

   “You’re welcome.” he replies, before he calls for Andy and Rye.

   Andy walks into the room and smiles at me, “Happy birthday!” he says and gives me a paper bag.

   “Thank you, Andy.” I take a look into the paper bag and there is a box, I pull it out and unwrap it. “A polaroid camera,” I utter in awe, taking it out from its box. “wow, thank you Andy.”

   “You’re welcome, it’ll work best with Mikey’s gift.” he winks, sitting down next to Mikey on his bed.

   “I think so too.” I reply.

   “Now for Rye’s gift, you have to put a blindfold on.” Brook gets up from the sofa and carefully puts it over my eyes.

   “Why do I have to put a blindfold on?” I ask.

   “Just wait.” Andy chimes in, the excitement palpable in his voice.

   Someone takes my hands and puts them out in front of me with my palms facing upwards.

   “I am kinda nervous, to be honest.” I laugh. “What exactly are we doing?”

   No one said anything, I pull my hands away.

   “Wait, I am really nervous!” I exclaim, making the boys laugh.

   “It’s okay, we promise.” Mikey says.

   Someone takes my hands and puts them out in front of me again. After waiting for a few seconds, someone puts something furry on my hands, it was heavy – wait, it’s not an it! I immediately remove the blindfold off and gape at the golden retriever puppy, as soon as I saw him/her.

  “Oh, my God.” I mutter, as my eyes brim with tears.

  I lift the puppy up and stick my nose to his/hers.

   “You are so cute.” I say to the puppy when I pull away, wiping the tear that streams down my cheek. “What’s its name?”

   “It’s a she and as for the name, it’s up to you.” Rye replies with a smile.

  “Hm..” I bite my lip, as I think of a name. “I’ll call her.. Rae?”

   “Rae, is that like a female version of Rye?” Andy asks.

  “ish. ” I reply, cringing. “I don’t know if it’s cringy or what, but it’ll be like a reminder that he was the one who gave her to me.”

   “Aw, that’s cute.” Brook teasingly says, poking Rye’s cheek.

   I look over at Rye, who slaps Brooklyn’s hand away and looks at me. He smiles and sits down next to me on the sofa; leaning closer, he plays with Rae who is currently on my lap.  His smile – which is so rare in his pictures – is so cute that it would make you smile as well.

   “You like her?” he asks, pulling me out of my thoughts.

   I didn’t realize that I was staring at him again, I quickly look away from him and turn to Rae.

   “I love her.” I reply, as I pet her. “Thank you so so much, Rye.”

   “You’re welcome, I am really happy to know that you love her.” he smiles.