WAKE UP

Alexandria Anderson

   I wake up to the bright light coming from the windows at the side of the room; squinting, I look away to see Rye currently sleeping on a chair with his head down whilst holding my hand.

   “Hi, I see you’re finally awake.” a doctor smiles as she walks over.

   “What happened?” I ask, slowly sitting up on the bed.

   “You lost your consciousness due to a severe reaction of hypoglycemia, it was a good thing that you were brought to the hospital right away, we were able to administer immediate treatment to obviate further symptoms from developing.”

   I nod, looking down at the IV on my hand.

   “Doctor Anderson.” the doctor smiles, as my Mom walks in.

   “No need to be so formal, Cristina.” my Mom chuckles. “So, how is my daughter?”

   “Better, her blood sugar levels are going back to normal unlike yesterday.” Cristina replies.

   “I am glad to hear that.” my Mom breathes out.

   “Though, I am afraid we have to keep you for a few more days.” Cristina says, looking at me. “We still have to observe your vital signs and run a few tests before we let you go home.”

   “I understand.” I nod and look at Rye who is still sound asleep, he must be really tired.

   “Anyway, I will go ahead, Eleanor shall fill you in with the rest of the details.” Cristina looks at my Mom and smiles.

   My mom nods and continue their conversation, as they walk out of the door whilst I turn to Rye and carefully run my fingers through his soft hair with my free hand, being careful not to wake him up.

   “He was so worried about you.” my Mom says as she walks towards the bed.

   “What?” I ask, even though I actually heard it.

   “You heard what I said,” she smiles at me. “he didn’t left your side, not even once.”

   I look over at Rye and smile a little.

   “Anyway, as for your condition; you should know that eating little and straining your body to its limit without eating enough can lead to a low blood sugar level and now, your body’s the one taking its toll.” she says.

   “I am sorry, Mom.” I mutter, looking down.

   She breathes out and puts her hand on my shoulder, squeezing it lightly.

   “You have nothing to apologize for, sweetie, what’s important is you’re already okay.” she smiles.

   I nod and look at Rye again.

   “Well,” she yawns. “I am still kinda sleepy, so I’ll just get a coffee.”

   “Okay, mom.” I reply, smiling.

   She walks out of the room, leaving me and Rye who’s still sleeping on a chair next to the bed. I lay back down on my side and look at him, putting my hand on top of his as I admire his features.

   He looks beautiful as ever, I thought to myself.

   As I gently run my fingertips across his forehead, swiping his hair to the side as I did so; he stirs and sits back on the chair. I watch him, as he rubs his eyes and slowly opens them to look at me.

   “Hi.” I chuckle, looking at him with a smile.

   “A–alexandria.” he stutters out, leaning forward on his seat.

   “I am sorry for making you worry, Rye.” I give him an apologetic look, as I sit back up.

   He shakes his head adamantly, “It doesn’t matter, how are you feeling?”

   “Better, I guess.” I shrug, biting my lip sheepishly.

   “Well, that’s a relief.” he breathes out and takes my hand in between both of his, resting his forehead against them. “Please don’t scare me like that ever again.”

   I squeeze his hand slightly, “I won’t, I am sorry.. for everything.”

   “What do you mean?” he looks up at me and furrows his eyebrows.

   “You know, for what I did in the past, for leaving just like that, for not talking to you or any of the boys, for being so insensitive and selfish, for hurting you, for everything..” I say.

   “Alexandria, you don’t have to apologi–”

   “No, Ryan.” I cut him off. “You always say that, you keep on saying that it’s okay when honestly, it isn’t.”

   I look into his eyes and breathe out.

   “Ryan, I .. I am sorry, I did that because I was too scared to get hurt.” I look away sheepishly.

   “You know I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.” he replies.

   “I know that, it’s just that.. I overthink a lot.” I say.

   He breathes out, “Alexandria, you don’t really have to worry about anything and I am the one to blame, you wouldn’t have left if only I told you the truth.”

   “Rye.. I – I don’t know what to say.” I look at him in bewilderment.

   “You know,” he says. “I tried to tell you the truth a lot of times, but I always end up losing the tenacity to do it.”

   I remember the times when it was just us two, he did try to tell me a lot of times.

   “Why is that?” I ask, though I think I already know why.

   “I don’t want to ruin our friendship or maybe because I was too scared of rejection, scared to know that maybe you don’t feel the same way about me.” he replies.

   “Ryan.” I breathe out.

   “I am really sorry, I should’ve told you long ago.” he says whilst furrowing his eyebrows.

   “Enough of the apologies, Rye.” I let out a chuckle to lighten up the mood. “You already said sorry a lot of times.”

   He looks away sheepishly and I cock my head a little and look at him intently – he looks uneasy as he fumbles with his fingers.

   “Well,” he says after a couple seconds and looks up at me. “since I wasn’t able to do it properly before, I am going to do it now.”

   “Do what?” I look at him questioningly.

   “Alexandria, it might sound cliche to you but I like you, ever since the first time we met at that ice skating rink.” he admits, taking my hand in his. “I don’t know what it is, but there is something about you that made me fall in love with you more and more as time goes by. I know it was pretty obvious by the amount of teasing we got from the boys, but I never denied any of it.. because it was true.”

   I just sit there, speechless; I have never thought about that before, he didn’t really deny any of it, not even once did I hear him negate to such teasing.

   “As I said, I should’ve told you the truth myself. I am sorry for hiding it and for hurting you in any way, I didn’t mean to hurt you, in fact I would never do anything on purpose to hurt you.” he continues.

   I feel my heart beat faster in my chest and so does the heat rising to my cheeks, we are just quiet for a few moments until I speak up.

   “You know I learnt that we’re too young to be afraid of such things,” I say. “I admit, I was scared of loving again but you.. you were the one who made me realize that not everyone is going to hurt me, thank you Rye.”