RELAPSE

Alexandria Anderson

   It is around three in the afternoon and I am just lying on the bed next to Rae, when I receive a text from Madison; saying that Ethan didn’t report for work today and that customers keep on coming, even though she didn’t say it directly, I know what she is trying to insinuate. So, I quickly text her back and start to get ready for work. After I get ready, I go out to the hallway; just in time to see my Mom walking out of her room.

   “Where are you going?” she asks when she saw me.

   “I am off to work.” I adjust the strap of my bag, before putting it on my shoulder.

   “You might have a relapse, Alexandria.” she says with perceptible concern in the tone of her voice.

   “I’ll be okay, Mom, besides I am still drinking my medicines even though I am already okay so I don’t think you really have to worry about anything.” I shrug.

   “Regardless and it’s your day off, right?” she retorts.

   “Yeah,” I breathe out. “I know, but Ethan didn’t go to work today so it’s just Madison there and the cafe’s usually busy in the afternoon.”

   “Well, I am just worried about you, do you really have to go?” she asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

   I nod and start to head to the front door, “I’ll be back as soon as it isn’t that busy anymore.”

   “Alright,” she breathes out. “take care, sweetheart.”

   “Yeah, I will, you too, Mom.” I kiss her on the cheek, before walking down the stairs and down the pavement.

   I wave at her and continue walking on the way to Starbucks. When I get there, the line is indeed long. I hurry towards the room at the back, waving at Madison as I walk past the counter and into the room. Putting my bag into the locker, I put my apron and hat on before going out to the front.

   “Hi, sorry it took me a while.” I say to her whilst she takes the customer’s order.

   “It’s okay,” she replies. “actually, I should be the one to apologize.”

   Madison nods her head to the monitor so I walk towards her and take a look at the screen for the order, which is an Iced Caramel Macchiato. I start to make the drink, whilst Madison takes the customers’ order. An hour and so later and dozens of coffees of different kinds served, the cafe is finally quiet apart from the usual murmurs.

   “Hey, Lexi.” she says whilst cleaning the expresso machine.

   “Yeah?” I turn around from the cash register and look at her.

   “I know it’s your day off, I am sorry for asking you to come.” she gives me an apologetic look.

   “Madi,” I chuckle. “you don’t have to apologize.”

   She smiles at me, which I reciprocate before continuing what I was previously doing. All of a sudden, I feel extremely dizzy that I almost lost my balance. I wobble, but I immediately hold onto the counter and just look down and shut my eyes.

   “Are you okay?” she asks in concern.

   I didn’t answer; I was too dizzy to even speak and it isn’t even hot in the cafe and yet I start to sweat immensely.

   “Lexi.” she walks towards me and puts a hand on my forearm.

   “I – I’ll just sit down.” I stammer, slowly sliding down against the counter and onto the floor.