ASSURANCE

Alexandria Anderson

  I just sit on the egde of Mom’s bed whilst watching her pack her stuffs; she would be going on a medical mission in Ireland, so I would be on my own for a week.

   “Call me if there’s any problem, okay?” she asks, as she puts the straps of the suitcase across her stuffs and locks it.

   “Yeah, I will.” I reply.

   Mom zips her suitcase and looks over at me and smiles.

   “I have to go, sweetheart.” she says, smiling weakly.

  “Yeah, uh, I’ll help you with that.” I get up from the bed and pick up her stuffs.

   I carry them downstairs and wait for her Uber by the sidewalk.

   “You know, I can drive you to the airport.” I say.

   “No, thank you, sweetheart, it’s okay.” she replies with a smile, lightly squeezing my arm.

  I just nod and after a couple minutes, her ride’s already there; the driver takes her stuffs and puts them into the trunk.

   “You take care, sweetheart, I’ll see you next Saturday.” she weakly smiles as she kisses me on the forehead.

   “I will, you too.” I reply, hugging her.

   Mom waves at me and climbs into the car whilst I just stand there and watch them drive away. Afterwards, I walk upstairs and into the bathroom; pouring bubble bath whilst the tub is filling up with water. Once it’s ready, I didn’t bother locking the door since I am just alone anyway and get into the tub; laying my head on the edge and just close my eyes.

   As I lay there, I hear someone come into my bedroom; making me nervous. I was just looking at the door as though I could see right through it and know it is, until the door swings open and my eyes goes wide. I immediately sink myself deeper into the water just below my collarbones; splashing some water out of the tub as I did so.

  “Fuck, I am so sorry.” Rye says as he quickly turns around. “I’ll just wait downstairs.”

  He shuts the door behind him and I just sit there, biting my lip as I feel my cheeks heat up. I breathe out and just finish taking a bath before I put my clothes on and go downstairs. Rye’s in the Living room and when he saw me, his cheeks turn red.

   “I am really, really sorry, I didn’t know you were in the bathroom.” he says, looking away.

   “Don’t worry about it, it was my fault anyway, I shouldn’t have left the door open.” I reply sheepishly and immediately change the subject. “So, uh, what brings you here?”

   “Oh, uh, I just want to talk to you.” he replies. “You’ve been distant after the incident at Tom’s party the other night and Andy told me that you thought I was mad at you.. so I just want to make it clear that I am not mad at you and just like what I said before; I will never get mad at you.”

   “I am so sorry, I was just embarrassed and scared that you might not want to talk to me again.” I admit, biting my lip afterwards.

   “Don’t be silly, Alexandria, that will never happen.” he replies, as a smile tugs at the corners of his lips.

  I nod and look down for a second, before looking up at him again.

  “Rye, I am so so sorry for putting you in that situation at the party.” I say to him, fumbling with my fingers.

   “It’s okay, you don’t have to apologize.” he reassures me.

   “Thank you, I don’t know what I would do if you didn’t came.” I mutter quietly.