SURPRISE

Alexandria Anderson

   Andy and I are currently at H&M and I am just following him around the store whilst he picks out a dress for me.

   “You should try this one too.” he takes out a dress from the rack and hands it over to me.

   I take a look at it, it’s a black sleeveless skater dress with thin straps. I must say it actually looks cute, except for one thing – it’s backless.

   “Andy, don’t you think it’s a little bit too revealing?” I sheepishly ask.

   He laughs, “I forgot you aren’t used to wearing such revealing clothes.”

   “Yeah.” I chuckle and was about to put it back to the rack, when he stops me.

   “No, try it.” he says and I raise my eyebrows as I try to figure out whether he is being serious or not.

   “I am not going to wear that,” I chuckle. “why are you even buying me a dress?”

   “Well, let’s just say that we’re going out to a restaurant later.” he shrugs and continues to walk, heading to the dressing room.

   “So what if we are going to eat at a restaurant, we can just wear anything casual.” I reason out.

   He stops walking and shakes his head, “Alexandria, just trust me, you’re being stubborn again.”

   “I am not.” I protest, laughing.

   “Just try it on.” he opens one of the doors to the dressing room and looks at me expectantly.

   “Okay okay.” I walk into the dressing room, Andy handing me all the dresses as I walk past him.

   After trying a couple dresses and coming in and out of the dressing room to show it to Andy, I am slowly getting tired. I unlock the door – hoping that I wouldn’t have to go through the struggle of taking off the dress and putting on another one for the seventh time – and sheepishly walk out of the dressing room to show it to Andy, who’s currently talking to someone on the phone.

   “Mate, I’ll call you back later.” he says when he saw me, he puts his phone into his pocket and just stares at me.

   “What?” I ask, but he didn’t say anything. “Just tell me if it does–”

   “You look beautiful.” he cuts me off.

   I feel the heat rise in my face and quickly turn around, “Well, uh, I’ll just go and get change so we can go back now.”

   “Okay.” he chuckles at my skittish behaviour whilst I go back into the dressing room.

   After getting change, Andy and I head to the counter and pay for the dress which is kinda pricey. I insist on paying for it several times, but he wouldn’t let me. We head back to the parking lot and he drives back to their house.

   “Where’s the boys?” I ask Andy when we arrive there, the house is oddly quiet.

   “They’re probably at the restaurant already.” he replies, putting the car keys on top of the counter in the kitchen.

   “I didn’t know they are coming too.” I watch him as he walks to the fridge and pours himself a glass of water.

   “Yeah, well uh, it was kind of unexpected so..” he shrugs and drinks the water. “Go on and get change already, we have to be there before seven.”

   I look at my wristwatch which reads 5:46 PM, so I have approximately an hour and fifteen minutes to get ready.

• • •