REALIZATION

Alexandria Anderson

   I was looking through the polaroids that I have taken the other night along with the boys, when Rae suddenly barks from the hallway; making me jump in surprise.

   “You aren’t use to having a dog, are you?” Rye chuckles, looking away from his phone whilst laying down on my bed on his back.

   I look at him with a sheepish smile, “Well, kinda. I think the last time we had a dog was when I was seven, so..”

   “Oh, that was indeed a long time ago.” he says.

   “It is.” I shift on the bed and cross my legs as I turn to face him. “By the way, how did you came up with the idea of buying me a puppy?” I ask.

   He smiles, putting his phone down on his stomach as he looks up at me. “Well, I often see you looking through photos of golden retrievers on Pinterest so I thought it would be a great gift for your birthday.”

   I just smile at him and nod, before keeping the polaroids away and continue writing on my journal. I didn’t really know what to do, I just want to kill time as I wait for Mom. It’s been two days already, she was meant to be home two days before but she didn’t. Though, it isn’t much of a surprise since it isn’t the first time anyways. As I write on my journal, my phone starts to ring – speaking of which. I enthusiastically pick it up from beside me and answer her call.

   “Hi, mom!” I get up from the bed and sit by the window.

   “Alexandria, hey.” she replies. “Happy birthday, sweetheart.”

   “Thank you, Mom, where are you?” I ask while smiling.

   “Uh, I have something to tell you.” she says.

   I feel the smile on my face disappears, I think I already know what she’s about to say.

   “What is it?” I ask in a flat tone.

   “I wouldn’t be able to go home tonight, but I promise I’ll be home first thing in the morning tomorrow.” she states.

   “Oh.” I bite my lip and look down.

   “I am sorry, sweetheart, I know that it always end up like this.” she says. “I’ll make it up to you when I get back, okay?”

   “Okay.” I sigh.

   “Bye, sweetheart. Take care, I’ll see you tomorrow.” she replies.

   “See you tomorrow, I love you.” I say.

   “Love you too, bye.” she says, before hanging up.

   I breathe out and look over at Rye, who is now looking at me in concern. I walk to the other side of the bed and lay down on my back, closing my eyes.

   “What’s the matter?” Rye asks, the concern in his voice is perceptible.

   “Mom isn’t coming home tonight, she’ll just go home tomorrow morning.” I reply flatly without even looking at him.

   I feel him shift on the bed and when I open my eyes and turn to him; he’s already next to me, his palm is on the side of his head to prop himself up as he faces me.

   “Don’t be sad, what’s important is that she’ll be home tomorrow morning.” he gives me a warm smile.

   “Yeah, I guess.. thank you.” I mutter as I smile a little, the tone of my voice still flat.

   He takes a deep breath and gets up from the bed and stands on the side, putting his hands out to me.

   “Come on.” he says whilst smiling.