BLUES

Alexandria Anderson

  I wake up to the faint music going on the speaker, the boys are probably having their soundchecks right now for their show later. Sitting up, I see Rye’s sweater – covering the top half of my body. I take it and smell his sweater, I miss his scent already. It might sound weird, but seriously; it’s the same scent that I get to smell every time that I hug him. I fix myself and go to the backstage and just watch the boys from the side, as they rehearse.

   “Oi, Alexa!” Mikey shouts on the mic, as he waves at me; drawing the other boys’ attention towards me.

   I smile at them and wave back, before they continue to do their soundcheck. I am just watching Rye who is really timid for the past few days and it seems like he isn’t comfortable with me being around – he just walks around the stage whilst the boys jump and run around and he would just smile a little whenever the boys do/say something funny.

Should’ve said those words
Should’ve told you how I felt
But I let you leave
Not a word of hesitation
I thought I was fine
Back when you were mine

A thousand times I tried to call but I
I just couldn't put up a fight

If you see me walking by
Don’t be afraid to say hello
Don’t be a girl I used to know, baby
And if you see my head hanging low
Sat in the place we used to go
Looking at polaroids
Before you were a stranger

  Rye keeps on looking at me, whilst he lipsyncs that part along with Brook and Andy. I try to ignore it, but I couldn’t take it anymore so I head back to the green room and just sit there – thinking of what I should do. For the past couple of days, I was keeping my distance from him and it just gets harder and harder every day. After a while, I could hear the boys on the hallway already then they came into the room one after the other but Rye wasn’t with them.

   “What happens after the show!” the boys sing, as they walk in.

   They stop midway to do their choreo for that part, which makes me smile a little even though I didn’t feel like it. When Andy saw me, his smile fades and he takes a seat next to me.

   “Hey, you alright?” he looks at me worriedly.

   “Yeah.” I reply and look away from him, pulling my phone out to avoid any conversation with him.

   “I am hungry.” Brook says.

   “What’s new?” Mikey asks, making the boys laugh.

   Brook asks us to come with him, but I already lost my appetite whilst Andy said that he isn’t hungry yet so only Jack and Mikey came along with him – which leaves me and Andy in the green room. He shifts on his seat to face me and rests his elbows on his knees, as he looks at me expectantly.

   “Just say it, Andy.” I say, looking away from my phone.

   He breathes out, “What’s wrong with you and Rye, it seems like you’re avoiding him.”

   “I, uh..” I trail off and let out a chuckle. “You are such a straightforward person, Andy.”

   “You told me to just say it.” he protests in his usual high pitch voice, “I just want to know cause the boys and I noticed that you seem distant when it comes to him and Rye’s become really timid for the past couple of days, but he won’t tell us why. Every time that we would ask him, he’ll just say that he’s just tired but knowing him, I don’t think that’s the only reason.” he says.