UNEXPECTED

Alexandria Anderson

   I just stand there, frozen and at loss for words as I watch my Mom and her friend hug each other.

   “How are you?” my Mom asks, as she pulls away.

   “I am good, thank you.” she replies, looking over at me. “Alexandria!” she says in surprise, pulling me into a hug.

   “Hi.” I sheepishly reply whilst we’re still in a hug.

   “Oh my God, she’s your daughter?” she looks at my Mom questioningly.

   “Yeah.” my Mom replies with a chuckle.

   “Oh my God,” she utters again, making us laugh. “that’s why she looks so familiar.”

   As I awkwardly stand there, I just feel someone wrap their arms around my waist and when I look down; I see Sammie and Shaun.

   “S–Sammie, Shaun.” I stutter out.

   “We heard that you now live in Manchester.” Sammie looks up at me, his arms still around my waist.

   “Yeah, we had to move there together with my grandmother so we can look after her.” I reply.

   The twins nod and Sammie pulls away, taking out a card from his jacket and gives it to me.

   “What’s this?” I ask with a smile, taking the card and unfold it.

   “Sammie and I wrote you a letter when we found out that Rye met you again.” Shaun pulls away and gives me another card.

  “Yeah, sorry if it’s too plain.” Sammie sheepishly says. “We did that just before we left our house.”

   I smile and hug them, “I love them.. thank you so much.” I say, pulling away.

   “Read it!” Shaun chirps, making me giggle.

   “Okay.” I unfold the other one and read it, my heart clenching and my eyes brim with tears. “I am genuinely sorry for not coming over to Somerset.” I turn to them after reading their letters.

   “It’s okay.” Shaun smiles reassuringly.

   “Oh, Eleanor, meet my twins – Shaun and Sammie.” their Mom says.

   “Hi.” the two of them utter in sync.

   Mom smiles at them and turns to their Mom, “I can’t believe you have twins already, last time we saw each other; Alexandria and Rye were just around their age.”

   “Yeah, feels like yesterday, doesn’t it?” their Mom laughs.

   “Oh, that is so true.” Mom replies, chuckling.

   I suddenly feel nervous when I see Rye and Robbie walk into the restaurant, my cheeks turn into light pink upon the thought of the video that Andy took the other day.

  “Excuse me, I’ll just go to the comfort room.” I say and leave the table right away.

   I hurry towards the comfort room and just lean against the marble counter, staring down at the sink as I think. My thoughts are all over the place and I have a lot of questions that I want to ask my Mom right now, but I couldn’t even think straight.

   “Alexandria..” Mom says, as she walks into the comfort room.

   “Mom,” I look at her in surprise. “I was just about to go back.”

   “You okay, sweetheart?” she asks, furrowing her eyebrows in concern.

   I nod, “I am just.. um, confused right now.”