UNDER THE WEATHER

Alexandria Anderson

   I wake up to the sun shining on my face and as I shift on the other side; something slips down on the side of my forehead. I pat the spot next to me until I found it and realize that it’s a towel, I put it back into the basin on top of the bedside table and lay back down on my back with my eyes still shut. Later on, I go downstairs and am kinda surprised to see that Mom’s still at home.

   “Uh, morning, Mom.” I say, walking into the kitchen.

   “Alexandria, sweetheart, how are you feeling?” she asks, as she quickly walks over to me and checks my temperature.

   I chuckle, “I am feeling a lot better now, Mom.”

   “Good.” she breathes out. “By the way, the boys went over earlier this morning to check up on you; they’re all worried about you, especially Ryan.” she says with a smile.

   “What’s with the smile?” I ask, tilting my head at the side a little.

   Mom shakes her head whilst smiling and continue what she was cooking. I sit on the counter stool and wait for Mom to finish cooking, so we can eat. After having lunch, I help her with the dishes and go upstairs to take a quick shower. When I was through, I sit down on the window seat and text the boys in our group chat.

Alexa
     — Hey ☺ Mom said that you went over earlier, I just want to say thank you 😅

  In just a few seconds, I receive a notification from our group chat.

Mikey
     — You don’t have to say thank you, Alexa ❤

Rye
     — How are you feeling?

Andy
     — someone’s worried 😏

Brook
     — Hahahahahaha, I wonder who it is

   A smile tugs at the corners of my lip and I shake my head, as I type.

Alexa
     — I am feeling a lot better now, thank you ☺

   The boys invite me to go to the nature park with them which I think about for a couple minutes, before finally saying okay. I go downstairs to inform my Mom quickly about it and go upstairs to get ready. After a couple minutes, I am already through; I look at the mirror and check myself for the last time before going downstairs. I see Andy, sitting on a sofa across from my Mom as they talk to each other.

   “Just promise me that you will look after her, okay?” she says.

  “You have my word, Mrs. Anderson.” he assures her with certainty.

  Mom nods and before she could say anything, her attention diverts away from Andy.

   “Oh, speaking of which.” she says, looking at me.

   I furrow my eyebrows, “What?”

  “Nothing, sweetheart.” she replies with a smile.

   Andy stands up from his seat and picks up his guitar from the floor, “We’ll go ahead now, Mrs. Anderson.”

   “You two take care, okay?” she says.

   “We will.” Andy and I say in sync, which makes her laugh.

   Andy and I say goodbye to her, before we head to the park where the other lads are waiting. As usual, the boys are messing around the playground and when Brooklyn saw us, he lets go of Mikey’s arm and smiles at us sheepishly like a little kid. I smile back at him and say hi to the rest of the boys, before going to the nature park.