SOMERSET

Alexandria Anderson

  I had to wake up early today for Rye, Andy, and I have to leave at around nine for Somerset. It was suppose to be just Rye and Andy, but Rye wants me to go with them since I haven’t met his family yet. As I was getting ready, I receive a notification so I get up from the chair to check it. I already have two messages, I didn’t notice the first one which was from Andy and the second one was from Mikey which came in a minute ago. His text catches my attention, so it’s the first one that I read.

fr: Michael Cobban
     — Let’s talk later.

  I furrow my eyebrows, I wonder what it is that he wants to talk about.

to: Michael Cobban
      — What are we going to talk about?

fr: Michael Cobban
     — A surprise for Rye’s birthday.

to: Michael Cobban
     — Okay okay, I’ll call you later.

  After replying to his text, I read Andy’s; he just said that we are about to leave in like fifteen minutes, so I continue to get ready. When I am through, I quietly go to my Mom’s bedroom to check if she was still asleep before I head downstairs and write a short message for her on a sticky note.

Mom, I already left. I am sorry if I
didn’t tell you, I didn’t want to wake
you up cos you’re probably tired
from your shift last night.

By the way, there’s breakfast already.

I love you, take care ♡

  After writing it, I stick it on the fridge and take my keys before going out and lock the door. I walk across the street and to the back of their flat where the parking is.

  “Hi.” I wave, as I walk towards them.

  “Just in time.” Andy chuckles, putting his bag into the trunk of their car.

  Rye walks over to me and smiles, putting his hand out. “Give me your bag, I’ll put it in the trunk.”

  “Thank you.” I smile back at him and give him my bag.

   He didn’t say anything, he just smiles at me as takes it and puts it into the trunk. Rye sits at the driver side, whilst Andy’s at the passenger side and I sit at the back.

   “Around what time are we going to get to Somerset?” Andy asks, as Rye starts to drive.

   “Twelve, I don’t know, it depends.” Rye replies without looking away from the road.

   I look at the seat next to me and there is a small transparent envelop full of papers – they are probably letters and gifts from the Roadies. I smile to myself, it’s really nice to know that he keeps them.

   “Alexandria.” Rye says.

   I quickly look over at the rear–view mirror and see him looking at me.

   “Are you okay there at the back?” he asks.

   “Yeah.” I nod whilst smiling.

   He nods and looks back at the road, as he and Andy talk about the last time that they went home whilst I am just quiet at the back as I admire the view outside.

   “Oh, speaking of which.” Andy says, shifting on his seat and looks back at me. “I was just wondering..”

   “What is it?” I raise an eyebrow.