Chapter One: The Fall Of The World

Chapter 1

~ He was broken, abused and neglected. He was a survivor long before the apocalypse ~

***

To Daryl Dixon,

If you are reading this, it means I have already gone. But don't worry, I haven't gone far. Not yet anyway. I have gone with my mother and Markus... You're probably cursing right now, calling him a damn grease bucket. That's always you. I know you too well... You probably don't care, but I wanted to let you know that I made it out safely. And that I miss you. I know it's wrong. So wrong. But the heart wants what it wants I guess. I don't know what's going on and I don't know what them things are. If I'm being honest, I'm scared. Of course I am. Daryl, sweetheart, if you are reading this, I want you to know that I'm sorry. So sorry. Believe me.

Kendra Kelly

Daryl reads the letter over and over and over again. He reads it so much that he can now say it of by heart without looking at it. The more times he reads it, the more frustrated he becomes. Eventually, he crumbles it up and puts it in his pocket, the same pocket where his ring was, not wanting to leave it behind.

He was in her room. Merle, his older brother, was in the kitchen, searching and gathering. Daryl walks around her room, looking and scanning. He comes upon photographs, but none were of him and her, or just him. There was one of Markus and he growls green, taking the photo and smashing it on the bedroom floor, glass splattering everywhere.

Stupid prick, he thought. He opens up her drawers and there is a photo album, purple butterflies and white flowers for the cover. It was recently opened, he smiles slightly.

He opens the photo album. Pages are torn and some photos are gone. Then, Daryl knew. She took photographs. But which ones? Growling and low whimpering comes from outside. They are here... Merle shouts up for Daryl and his father.

"ONE SECOND!" He shouts down. He quickly looks through the album, glancing at each passing photo.

Then, like a bright light hitting him, there is one of him and Kendra. He sighs, relieved. He tears it out quickly, pressing his dirty hand down and ripping it out, not really looking at the photograph, grabs his crossbow, and goes down the spiral white staircase, landing with a thump at the bottom.

Merle shoves him out of the house, followed by his father. They were now outside of the house. Walkers were at the fence, screeching and thirsty for blood. The fence gives way and the walkers trample over the fence.

"Hurry!" Merle shouts, running ahead of them. Daryl looks behind as he feels something isn't right.

His father was gone...

"DAD!" Daryl roars, louder than the creatures. He panics, throwing his head in all directions, looking for him. Merle comes running back to him, shaking him by his shoulders and spit landing on his face.

"Where the hell did he go?!" Merle questions. Suddenly, Merle has enough and grabs ahold of Daryl's winged leather vest jacket, not knowing where or who actually gave it to him.

"We have to go, little brother!" He orders, pulling him along like he was some type of dog. Daryl frowns furiously with what he's doing.

"What the hell, Merle! We can't jus' leave him! I'm gonna go back!" With that, Daryl yanks ferociously from Merle's grip, and dashes back into the Kelly's house.