Chapter Five: The Only Way

Chapter 5

The RV comes to a sudden and abrupt halt, as if Dwight had stepped on the brakes way too fast and hard - he did. Daryl's head meets with the side table and he groans in pain as it was sharp, waking him up.

Daryl had been passed out for five hours now, the day coming to an end, the sunset present and open. Nobody said a word to him as he got up from the floor where he was lying and slowly went outside to pee behind an old tree. Once he was finished, he made his way back, thinking about the past events. Lance had drove his moter bike along side the RV. Daryl went inside to meet everyone again.

"What's the problem?" He asks and Dwight gave him the cold shoulder. Daryl became angry. "I'm sorry... What I meant to say is what is your problem?" He says sharply. Dwight stared at Daryl for a moment then he spoke.

"Everyone was fighting and arguing... So I slammed on the brakes making everyone stop," Dwight explained, Sherry siting beside him in the passenger seat as she looked out the window.

Daryl didn't say anything and he went and sat down on the long sofa beside Bonnie as Lance was coming in through the door.

Nobody said a word. The silence was deadly.

Something was up, and Daryl didn't like it. Fava's young face was unreadable, Tobe was blankly staring at the wall and Markus was chewing on his tongue. What was going on? Lance let out a long sigh, breathing unusual.

"What's got everyone so uptight?" Daryl questions, his stomach dropping when Fava hugged in tightly to Tobe crying her eyes out.

"Let's just kick him out," Markus says fast and he stands up, rubbing his chin.

"No," Lance orders. "He started the whole thing... Not him. It's not Daryl's fault. He was only defending himself. Besides... Merle is the one that started the fire."

🔸🔸🔸

Two hours earlier

Merle stares down every one of them, even Daryl who was lying on the ground, looking some what peaceful. He clicks his tongue. Dwight had pulled in at the side of the road as the tension and the hatred was too much.

"What? You jus' gonna leave me here at some ditch? You can't throw me out!" Merle tries reasoning but the others didn't fall for it.

"Fava said it was you that caused all this. Started the fight with Daryl and then started the fire. Is it true?" Kendra says to Merle, keeping eye contact. Tamiko was beside Daryl, lying on the floor as well, licking his ears.

Merle laughs dryly. "Ya got some nerves on ya, girl. How did you even see? You spying on us or some shit the whole time?"

"Exactly," Fava croaks, holding back the tears. She looked at Tobe and her mother came into view, the grave up on flames. Just the imagine of her mother's body on flames kept Fava awake at night for weeks. And it was all Merle's fault. This horrible, cruel man. Does he even feel at all?

"I say we kill the son of a bitch right here and now," Markus says, full hatred in his voice. Jane looks at Markus, surprised yet not that surprised really. She feels as if that was a good enough plan. One less Dixon in the world the better. Kendra gasps.

"We are doing no such thing!" Even though Merle had given her hell since she met Daryl, she didn't want to ditch the man and leave him to defend for himself, let alone kill him.

"To hell with y'all! Do whatever use want... But we're not letting him stay. He screwed over where we lived. Now, we screw him over," Markus speaks his mind.