Chapter Fourteen: Sing Me A Song

Chapter 14

"Please sleep. Ya look so tired, sweetheart."

"I'm fine. Honest. What about you?"

"I'm fine as well. Don't worry 'bout me."

"How can I not when you're risking your life for all of us as usual?"

"Maybe you're right. But it's better this way. I'm goin' now. Be back soon."

"Be careful for God's sake."

"I will."

🔸🔸🔸

"Hol' on tight," Daryl says, starting the motorbike with one quick motion, revving the bike more than necessary. He accelerates, leaving behind the horrible destruction, never wanting to set eyes on it again. Daryl feels Kendra tensing up behind him, digging her sharp nails into his sides. He slows down, understanding her body language. The numbers go down from 85 to 55. She relaxes a bit, breathing calmer.

Kendra is not use to the noisy sound of the bike and her face screws up. But after a couple of minutes, her face is relaxed. "WHERE DO YOU THINK THEY WENT?" Kendra shouts over the deafening humming to Daryl.

Daryl steers the bike with one hand, the other rested on his lap. "DUNNO," Daryl says honestly. "BUT I TOOK THE LEFT THEY TURNED. COULD BE ANYWHERE."

"DARYL?" Kendra shouts.

"WHAT?"

"LET'S MOVE FORWARD."

"THAT'S WHAT AM DOIN'."

"NOT THE BIKE YOU JACKASS. I MEAN, ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT. I BELIEVE WHAT YOU SAID. I WANT TO MOVE PAST THAT. I TRUST YOU."

"I TRUST YA AS WELL," Daryl shouts over the noise. "NOW, LET'S NOT TALK AN' FOCUS ON THE ROAD." With that, Daryl accelerates more, revving loudly into the empty highway.

🔸🔸🔸

Daryl slices off the snakes head, it falling and tumbling to the ground, letting one last slither out of it. Kendra gags, turning her head. "Ya jus' focus on buildin' that fire. It's gonna be dark pretty soon," Daryl commands. "I'll skin this bastard." Daryl uses his bare hands, ripping the snakes skin in two horizontal ways, the skin landing by his dark brown boot. Kendra vomits on the ground, her back arching down and mouth wide open, eyes watering.

"Ya alright?" Daryl asks, walking over to the unbuilt fire. Once Kendra is finished she says, "Yeah."

"I have a lighter here somewhere," Daryl says, searching for the lighter in his pockets "Here, hol' this."

Daryl basically throws the skinned headless snake at Kendra, making her squeal and jump up. "Bad catch," Daryl says looking at his lighter. The fire is lit in a millisecond, the twigs and wood going up in flames, reminding them of the CDC. Kendra makes a disgusted face, using only her thumb and pinkie finger to pick up the reptile. Daryl gets out his knife, cutting the snake in half, jabbing a stick through both pieces of meat. "Here," Daryl says, handing Kendra the stick with the snake meat on it.

"I gave ya the bigger piece," Daryl states, stretching out his arm, letting the meat be cooked by the flames. Kendra nods, thanking him.