Chapter Eight: The Vacancy Darkness

Chapter 8

The bellow of Daryl's death bike starts up again. "No, ya can't get on with me. I'm afraid ya might fall off," Daryl says to Fava.

"Awwww," Fava moans. "So unfair."

"Maybe another time."

Fava didn't respond and she makes her way back into the RV. The adults had calmed down. Except for baby Alex. He was crying. He was now in a little brown box with a white fluffy blanket inside and another blanket wrapping around him. Dwight was now in the drivers seat instead of Tobe. Jane nurses baby Alex to sleep. His long, black eyelashes rested on his chubby pink cheeks and his scatter of light brown hair made him even cuter.

"We gonna go back for that son of a bitch then?" Dwight asks, and Jane gives him the death stare. Dwight stares back relentlessly and immediately puts the RV into reverse. Jane breaks of eye contact. Kai rubs her knuckles.

🔸🔸🔸

Nothing apart from a few mindless walkers roamed Yalston. The day was coming to an end and the group was getting tired.

Tired and hungry.

"I say we stay in that motel there," Lance says yawning. "This place is deserted as my asshole."

Kendra chuckles to herself as she steps out of the RV. Then it was back to feeling pain. Where in god's name could he be?

"We have to go look for him," Kendra says to the group as they came out of the RV.

"Look for 'im in the mornin', Kelly. It's gettin' too dark. I say we rest up for the night. Then in the mornin', first thing, we go searchin' for that greas- Markus," Daryl says to Kendra.

Jane pushes her way to the front of the group to where Daryl was. Alex was sleeping in her arms, her long blonde hair covering the body like another blanket.

"How dare you even think like that," Jane points to Daryl in anger. "I say we go look for him now!" She turns around to the group.

It was so quiet you expected tumble weeds to blow past like in the movies. Daryl raises his eyebrows to Jane, a playful grin fighting against his face.

"See, olive oil," Daryl takes one step closer to her. "I'm always right." Jane sneers.

"First thing then. And if anything happens to him," Jane says to Daryl still pointing. "I'm blaming you."

"Rodger that, ma'am."

🔸🔸🔸

It was a full moon. Tobe, Tamiko and Scozzafava was in one room. Dwight and Sherry in one room. Jane, Alex and Kendra in one room. Kai and Lance in one room. Daryl on his own.

Daryl didn't sleep. He lay up reading a book he had found in one of the drawers. It wasn't like him, but the cover seemed interesting and he had nothing better to do. He hadn't slept in days.

"What, no pictures?" Darryl grumbles to himself, flipping the pages to try and find pictures. There was none but he was still interested in it.

He turns the pages of the book, dust coming of on his fingers. Kendra had got him into reading. He never was much of a reader. He thought it was boring. Well, look at him now.

He had lit a candle since there was no electricity in the building. In the country.

In the world.

The stars and the full moon shines in through the window giving him light as well. His crossbow was beside the bed he was lying on, like an old man would leave his walking stick beside the bed. He was so into the book, that he didn't even hear the footsteps near his door.