Chapter Eleven: The CDC

Chapter 11

The long journey was coming to an end and everyone was hoping for something. Hoping for a chance, hoping for a cure. Fava had read her comic twice and now she placed it into her rucksack, squishing and crumpling it in. Daryl's eyes were weary as he made a right turn. The sign read:

CDC
2 miles

The RV followed. Lance was now driving, his grip always tight and steady on the steering wheel. He didn't like to take his guard down. He was always aware of his surroundings and if the situation seemed eerie, like a house cat. Even his eyes went wide if something spooked him. Definitely a house cat.

"Are we there yet?" Fava asks for the fifth time. Tobe would always reply "almost" or "nearly." She had her head placed on her father's checkered t-shirt she had bought him for his 40th birthday. The shirt was now 3 years old.

The ground became bumpy and they soon realized that they were here. Daryl parks his bike on the lawn and Lance parks the RV on the side of the road. A huge tank was abandoned in the middle of the road, left by the military. Daryl hears the sound of something crunching and churning beneath the wheels. He didn't seem to notice until a damp and cold hand grabs him while he was still on his bike. He leaps to his feet and stabs the walker that had no lower body through it's head. It's other half was only a meter away, a couple of birds peaking at it. A swarm of flies buzzes around the lawn. Daryl's eyes goes mad as he quickly paces his way towards the CDC.

It was a graveyard.

About hundred, (if not more) dead bodies of soldiers were lying on the lawn, rotting and decaying. Daryl gags and coughs as the smell made you want to puke your guts out. He stands outside the building. The shutters were down.

"Shit..." He mumbles as the rest of the group came up the path. Fava and Kendra holds their breaths and breathes through their mouths instead. Kendra notices Daryl's worried expression.

"What's the matt-"

She didn't even need to reply. She sees the shutters down, like it was deserted for months.

"Oh my god... Are you taking the actual piss?!" She yells, her forehead making lines.

Jane was the last to see what was going on. She holds baby Alex in her arms, the beautiful sun setting behind her.

"You fucker..." Jane sneers to Daryl, her eyes giving off slaughter. Her stomach twists and her heart was beating so fast, you expected it to fly from her chest.

"Here, hold him," Jane orders to the person who was closest to her. Sherry. She gives baby Alex over.

Jane walks up to Daryl, her footsteps loud and daunting. Daryl remains still, clutching onto his iconic weapon with his right hand.

"YOU DOOMED US ALL! YOU KILLED US! YOU-" Jane slaps Daryl across the face hard and fast, causing a red mark to form. "-SENT US ALL TO OUR GRAVES! HOW DARE YOU! YOU WERE SUPPOSE TO SAVE US BUT NO!"

Jane raises her tingling hand to slap Daryl again when Daryl grabs ahold of her wrist and made a fist, ready to punch her across her face. Saliva travels down his chin as he grits his teeth and growls, like a ravenous wild dog. He wasn't actually going to punch her, just wanted to give her a message.