Chapter Forty-Two: Prince Of Nothing

Chapter 42

***

"I hate liars, Merle."

The overuse of the word inside his head is nagging and annoying, only creating more fury for Merle.

But why is he so shocked? He never trusted him from the start. Not since the day he sliced off his hand on purpose for disobeying orders...

"Brother against brother!" The Governor yells, raising his two fists in the air punching the sky. "Fight! To the DEATH!"

The crowd cheers on, people whistling loud and stomping their feet. Daryl doesn't even realize his hands were tied behind his back the entire time until one of The Governor's men cut him loose, red deep marks lining his wrists were the rope was. He drops his hands to his side, knowing he'll have to use them to fight Merle.

Damn, this is one crazy bastard.

"NO! STOP THIS!"

Both men scan their eyes over to the pleading shouting, Daryl in disbelief as he thought he'd never see her again. Life is always a test for the ones that need it most.

"PLEASE, YOU CAN'T!" Henri roars again, running towards The Governor, but a large dark skin man grabs her by the arm, followed by another man keeping her at bay. She twists and she squirms and she twists, wiggling about and kicking her legs up, her loose bun coming apart and down over her melting chocolate eyes that has to bare to watch this horror unfold.

"HE'S MY FRIEND! PLEASE, PHILLIP! I'M BEGGING YOU! DON'T DO THIS."

Daryl gets a current of electricity through his shaking body.

Friend.

He smiles for a split second, looking over at Henri and wanting to comfort her and to tell her it's going to be alright. He wants to. He really does. But he can't. He has to stand there uselessly and force himself to watch Henri break down crying thinking the worst possible scenario and outcome to herself.

In a weird way, she looks older; more mature in a sense of a youth and for someone her age. The wetness fires on her skin, screaming for the brothers to be set free. But the man of pure darkness and psychotic powers and demeanor acts like Henri isn't there, waving on the crowd to get them energised and blood thirsty. It works.

Daryl lifts his eyes off of Henri and onto Merle, him suddenly lifting his fist into the air, strolling around the perimeter - around Daryl - with an expression of mystery.

"Ya know me!" Merle shouts out, people climbing down the steps to form a circle around the brothers like hungry vultures. "I'm gonna do whatever I gotta do! To prove"- Merle's fist clashes with Daryl's jaw, him tumbling down to the dust and dirt with the abrupt strong impact. -"that my loyalty!"- Merle swings his boot into Daryl's chest, him wheezing for air on the ground. - "IS PUT INTO THIS TOWN!"