Chapter Thirty-Seven: Peril And Dicentra

Chapter 37

Kai repeatedly stabs the ground that he is sitting on, his back up against the damp wall. The more times he stabs it, the more fury and rage he builds up, his face screwing up more and more.

Daryl has just left, checking up on him to see how he was holding up. Kai told Daryl to fuck off, so he did, frowning and exiting himself from the corridors without a another word.

Kai's heart is weak, it tearing up piece by piece. Kai hits his head against the wall, going insane as he still can't believe she's gone. She has taken all the breath from his body, him trying to recover but it's impossible.

Kai cries muted, the tears glistening on his skin like the bright sun that has just hit the top layer of a pond, it reflecting and shining back. He drives his knife into the floor as he hears a banging coming from a door in front of him.

A walker.

The walker bangs on the door loud, the booming noise making Kai stab the wall and get up in a flash, wanting to be alone.

But the noise still continues as he walks away, stopping in the middle. He stands still, gripping onto the handle of his knife.

Boom

He twitches.

Boom.

His lips curl upwards.

Boom.

His heart is out of control.

Boom.

He snaps his head to look back.

Boom.

He runs.

He dashes to the door, opening it up and holding the knife at his neck level, his back bent forward to look into the dark closed off room that he has set eyes on.

It's empty...?

Kai's blue shining eyes scan the small room, no one to be found.

He looks down.

"Ugh...Kai?"

She wearily turns her head to one side to look up at him, her eyes half open.

"Jane?"

Kai crouches down so he's at her level, letting out a sigh of relief and a slight chuckle. He cups her cheeks, pressing his lips to her forehead. She softens at his touch, grinning to herself knowing she will be okay as Kai is with her now.

"Let's get you back, huh?" He suggests, picking her up in his arms bridal style. She leans down into his chest, Kai holding her close to his beating heart, her long wavy blonde hair drooping down as Kai smiles down at the woman he has grown to love.

🔸🔸🔸

"Let me in!"

The power from his voice bounces off the walls as he stands outside the large locked cell gate to lead into the cell blocks. He waits for a couple of seconds, Jane exhausted in his arms, her eyes shutting and opening trying to stay awake.

Sherry is the first one at the gate, a huge smile on her face as her gaze lands on Jane. She twists the key in the lock, opening the gate to let the pair in. Kai nods to the brunette woman, climbing up the stairs and into an empty cell block.

Just before he does, he walks past Kendra and Bobby who are still in their cell, Kendra snapping up surprised to see her mother in Kai's arms. Bobby is just as shocked, getting up from the side of the bed to follow them.