Chapter Sixty-One: The Honesty We Give

Chapter 61

Them three words from the man she knew since the beginning turns her to ice, slowly melting her away into oblivion and further into an abyss where she can never return.

Her father is shouting down on her. Her mother is shocked. Rico is stunned, his eyes widening, then calling her a slut.

Daryl is living one life for the three of them.

He's leaning up against a tree, his hand on his forehead. He hasn't spoken a word in five minutes, neither has Fava. She's been too busy sobbing.

"Hol' on," Daryl mutters, turning his eyes to look at Fava. It ignites humiliation, exploding and causing a mess. "Let me process this. Ya had unprotected sex... With Bobby pin? Bobby!?"

Fava stands up, walking closer to Daryl so she's right in his face. With no emotion, she whispers, "yes."

"Man..." Daryl grumbles. "How ya think he's gonna take it, huh? You'll give that boy a stroke."

Fava let's out a huge sigh, falling into Daryl's chest. She's got no energy left. She's weak.

She wraps her arms around him slowly, burying her face into his damp shirt. She didn't care. The fall envloves into a hug she didn't know she needed until now. She holds on tight, Daryl feeling her vibrate against his chest.

Daryl's anger absorbes into softness, his eyes drooping low, yet shining bright. He begins to hug back, propping his chin on top of Fava's black natural hair. No mint to be found.

"I'm sorry," Fava croaks, hugging in more and breathing in his strong scent of oak. "I'm so sorry."

Daryl exhales heavily, rubbing her back gently to comfort her the best he can. He could never stay mad at Fava for too long. Eventually, you just give in. Fava has the power to do that.

The hug lasts longer than Daryl expects. He tries to pull away on many occasions because he thinks it's awkward, but Fava just rails him back in again, hugging him tighter to never let him go. She doesn't take it as awkward. Some of his hugs, yes. But this hug? No, this hug was perfect. Because it was the one she needed the most. Again, he gives in, letting Fava do her thing.

Finally, she lets go, drying her tears with the tips of her fingers. She looks up to Daryl, giving him a strong and loving smile that his heart aches. But he doesn't show it. It just looks like he is staring back at Fava with a blank expression, his Dixon ways of showing emotion. The way he was brought up. Your true nature/nurture that your parents give you always remains with you. Even in the smallest ways; impossible to change.

"What-- what should I do?" She asks small, tracing her stomach knowing something is growing inside of her.

Daryl shakes his head, not fully understanding the question. "What ya mean what should ya do? Ya tell Bobby an'-"

"No, no," Fava interrupts. "Not that. I mean, what should I do?"

Daryl's face drops, his shoulders slopping. "Ya mean, to keep it or not?"

Fava nods her head hesitantly, knowing that Daryl won't approve with abortion. She knows that. She knows what kind of man he is.

"Your call," Daryl speaks, placing a hand on her shoulder. "But if ya were to get rid of it, ya would never know what kind of life ya missed out on."

"Wow," Fava says dumbfounded, not knowing Daryl had something so beautiful trapped inside, waiting to escape. "Is that what you think?"

"That's what I know."