Chapter Nine: The Dream

Chapter 9

There was no where to run. No matter how hard I pushed myself, I stayed in the same spot, like a treadmill. The man was getting closer, I could hear his footsteps. The crunching of his shoes sounded like he was stepping on bones, cracking and snapping them. The man whistled and his army of men surrounded me in a circle. The other men were whistling as well, like the main man was the lion and the other men were like vultures, ready to take and eat whatever was left of my remains.

The whistling became louder and louder, until I began to sweat. "DARYL!" I call out, turning my head to look for him. My back was bent over slightly and my fists were clamped together. But I never fought. My fists were just there and I didn't have any intention of fighting back.

That's why I called for Daryl.

"DARYL?!" I shout again. I desperately needed him. The man looked like a psychopath. He was a psychopath.

The man laughs and shows his white stunning smile. "Daryl, huh?" He looks to me and points his weird choice of weapon. It was dripping and drooling of fresh blood.

"Ohhhhhhh! You mean this fucking beast of a guy right here?"

The lunatic steps to one side and Daryl was pushed to the ground in one quick motion of where the man was only a second ago. His lip was busted and dried blood stained his upper lip just below his nose. He had this sad look upon his face that he was going to disintegrate at any moment. I hated that.

"Leave him be! Please..."

The man pouts. "No can do, "Kelly"." He uses air quotes to mock us even more if that were possible.

"I'll give use two options! Since I'm soooooo fucking kind like that," he bends down to Daryl who was on his knees.

"Option one: you and your love bird can come and work for me! Wouldn't that just be a dream come true? Or option two: you disagree and I'll fucking beat the shit outta your girl first. Then, I'll let you die the most painful and the most cruel death ever... But I don't wanna kill you because I want you to work for me! You can't work for me if you're fucking dead, now can you? So... What's it gonna be? Time's already ticking!"

Daryl looks up at me, his breathing out of control. The man looks at me and taps his invisible watch. He turns his attention back to Daryl.

"Cat got your fucking tongue?" He whispers sharply to Daryl. Daryl didn't even blink.

The man shakes his head in disbelief. "Since you're such a fucking fuck fucker, I'm going to kill you first."

"NO!" I shout. But it was already too late. Daryl tumbled to the ground without saying a word. The man walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder. I'm shaking.

"Guess it's just you and me, Lamb"

🔸🔸🔸

Kendra shoots up like a rocket from the mattress, breaking the embrace Daryl and her had. She breathed so heavy, that her vision becomes blurry and she couldn't think straight. Daryl gets up and puts his hand on her shoulder.

"Ya alright, Kelly?"

Kendra looks to Daryl and he was taken back by her facial expression. She was sweating like mad and her breathing was out of control.

"Hey," Daryl says. "Look at me, you're alright, see?"

Kendra looks into Daryl's eyes that she couldn't really see because of the dark. But she feels his harsh gaze upon her. His voice was a low and daunting whisper.

"You okay? What happened?"

"I... Had this weird dream. And - I don't know, it's stupid."

Kendra hears Daryl snort.

"Nothin' is weird no more. Nothin' - and I mean nothin' - you could say to me that will make me weirded out. For cryin' out loud, there's dead people walkin' 'bout the place!"

Kendra nods. "You're right. I need some air..." She puts her hand to her forehead.

Daryl chews on his tongue. "Let's go then."

He grabs his crossbow and he opens up the window since they were only on the ground floor. He climbs out of the window and Kendra follows. Daryl takes out his flash light and he shines it on the environment around them: Dirt, grass, plants, rocks, trees and even small mammals roamed just outside their room. The only sounds were crickets and their footsteps.

"So then," Daryl says, walking over a fallen branch. Kendra crosses her arms to warm herself up. "What's this weird dream?"

Kendra looks up at the night sky, full of diamonds twinkling and minding their own business.

"You won't judge?"

"Cross ma heart an' hope to die."

"Okay then," Kendra says, clearing her throat. "Me, you and the rest of the group were all on their knees, like we were all praying to god. But as I looked around, everyone had these worried and terrified expressions on their faces, like something bad was about to happen. Then you disappeared-"

"Where I go?" Daryl interrupts.

"That's the whole thing; I don't know."

"So I just vanish? Like, poof an' I'm gone?"

"Can you please just let me finish?"

"Sure." Daryl says in slight amusement.

"Anyway... After you vanish, this man came out. He had this sick and cruel smile only psychopaths would have. Then I heard whistling and I began to run, but I stayed in the same place. I was trapped. I began to call your name and his men started laughing and taunting me. I called your name again and again and again. Then you appeared again and you were shoved to the ground like some type of animal. The insane man wanted us all to work for him or he would kill me. But you didn't say anything... You were muted. The man got annoyed and he bashed your head in with a baseball bat with barbwire wrapped around the top. It was absolutely insane."

"Woah," Daryl says.

"I know-"

"Nah, I'm not on 'bout your dream. Look."

Daryl points upwards to a large tree. Blood was drooling down the sides of the wood and Kendra shivered.

"Oh my god," Kendra exclaims, covering her mouth.

A walker with a rope around it's neck was half breathing. Half of it's neck was rotting away, ready to break and fall apart. It's arms were stretched out, trying to grab Daryl and Kendra. Trying.

"Look at this dumb son of a bitch. Hangin' up there like a big pinata. Dumb ass wasn't smart enough to shoot himself in the head," Daryl says to Kendra.

Kendra was gob smacked and disgusted. She felt vomit coming up her throat. She gagged twice then threw herself the opposite way of Daryl and brought it all up onto a small shurb. Daryl walks towards the walker.

"Daryl... Get away from it," Kendra warns him as soon as she was finished. Daryl raises one finger to her, silencing her. He takes out his crossbow and shot at the ugly creature who was half dead anyway. It was now lifeless.

Daryl takes something that was pinned up on the tree along with the walker. It was a piece of crumbled and dirty paper. It was there a while. Daryl reads it out.

"Got bit. Fever hit. World gone to shit. Might as well quit."

Daryl looks up from the paper. "Suicide note," he huffs and he threw it on the ground.

"Poor guy," Kendra says sadly. "The world was too much for him."

Daryl kicks the dirt with his brown boots. "Don't know why people even give up. Like, ya have to try 'cause ya jus' don't end it 'cause it's gettin' too hard or whatever."

"Some people are stronger than others. You have to remember that, Daryl. Not everyone's the same," Kendra reasons with him. Daryl doesn't respond straight away.

"I can tell."